What Peyton Manning is doing (and how to beat him)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I can't recommend this article enough. Seriously, stop reading my post right now and go read it. Then come back and discuss.

- - -

If this is even half true (and based on what we see on the field every Sunday, it certainly seems like it is), it's so crazy. I always knew that Manning was doing some complex stuff at the line, but calling entire plays (including full blocking assignments) at the line (and then changing them one or two times after fake snaps) is way, way more than any other QB has ever done. As Simms said, he is playing a position that no one has really played before. He is a complete offensive co-ordinator on the field.

This also really makes me think about why the Colts don't have more Super Bowls. What is happening to Manning that is preventing him from getting the job done in the clutch? How can a guy be so ruthless and effective in some two-minute drill scenarios but make such a bad throws in basically the same situation (such as the Porter interception in the Super Bowl).

As much as we all hate him, Peyton Manning is a very special player and I believe he will go down as the greatest ever. He can keep playing at a high level for another 5-8 years probably, so we're all going to see a lot more of him.

One last question: has Vince Young ever called an audible? I'm not talking about a Peyton audible. I'm talking about a basic switch-from-a-pass-to-a-run audible. For that matter, are audibles even built in to Jeff Fisher's system? Does he trust his QBs enough to even teach them that stuff? I don't want this to turn into yet another Vince/Collins bash-fest. I'm just pontificating on how different the Titans' system is from the Colts.

2. TorontoTitanFan

I'll post a few of the more interesting passages from the article for those of you who are too lazy to read the whole thing. Seriously, though, you really need to read the whole thing.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'll be sure to give this a read later today but wanted to mention that, if you read Dungy's book, you'll get a good feel for what Manning does in that offense. Moore sends in three plays, Manning chooses one or calls his own.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

but they all suPK

5. TorontoTitanFan

This article refutes that idea. To be more specific, it says they stopped doing that several years ago and now all that Manning gets is a suggested concept and he often crafts the entire play at the line of scrimmage based on multiple pre-snap reads.

6. Sonic28

Sonic28 Starter

I'm scared of Tamme. We can't defend a TE to save our life.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I'm scared of Keynesian economic theory & google chrome

• High Five High Five x 4
  8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The answer is yes, Vince has called audibles. In fact he's called at least two this year that I can recall. One was in the Oakland game, and the other I believe was against the Giants.

As for the article you suggested; good read, my brain hurts from reading it. I'm not at all surprised by how much information is exchanged between Manning and his teammates before a play is played. Have you seen the size of his head? When you have zero athletic ability you have to compensate for it by being brilliant at what you're doing. But seriously, the man lives for football. He says his personality would NEVER allow for him to be a coach as he's a perfectionist, and he'd chew his QB out every minute of every day for not being "him". I am however impressed with his dedication, it's a little scary tho. And worse than that is we play him twice a year maybe three if we are lucky.

9. amy

amy Starter

"If you can make Manning feel as though he has to score points on every drive, and you have the ability to play complex coverages behind an effective three or four man rush, and it is a elimination game - you might see Manning get rattled and start forcing the ball downfield. But that is a lot of ifs & ands. "

Hmmm, that "you have the ability....................four man rush" part is scary. Do we have anything like that?

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Dungy book is a few years old so I wouldn't be surprised. Moore and Manning have been together so long, Manning probably has his earpiece tuned to a "All Chesney, All the Time" muzak station.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar