What position do we go?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titansfan12, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Yes it does suffer a bit and who knows what we do but if Fisher and the rest of the staff is gone after next year I would rather draft some players that can be used either way. The draft is just really complicated for us this year.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I wouldn't be opposed to Amukamura or Peterson if they're the best guy available, but you don't build your defense with cornerbacks.

Champ Bailey, Nnamdi Asomougha and other top tier corners have been on some absolutely awful defenses because they had to cover for 3+ seconds or couldn't stop the run.

You build a defense from the inside out.

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Great point. I think we have a decent front-7, depending on if we re-sign Babin/Tulloch.

Morgan - Brown - Jones - Babin
    McRath - Tulloch - Witherspoon

(add in Haynesworth, if he returns home).. that's not bad, if we had a decent coordinator!

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

In a 4-3, MLB and DT are the most important positions. That's where we are weakest. MLB needs to fly around the field and play run and pass well. Tulloch can tackle very well, but seriously needs help covering passes. We need a BEAST DT or MLB. If Fairley is available at 8, I'd be thrilled if we took him. That's an instant defensive upgrade, especially with D Morgan coming back to line up next to him....2 first round draft picks on the DLine just sounds like a great young start for a longterm great defensive front. Get a MLB from FA if available or later in the draft (Martez Wilson from Illinois in 2nd rd?) and our defense is suddenly VERY STOUT if these guys turn out. We then have a young, rock solid D.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Stephen Tulloch isn't an issue when it comes to run defense, he just isn't a guy who can play all three downs. He should have never been put in the situation he was in last year when he played in all the sub packages.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Exactly, and our defense tends to ask the MLB to be much more involved in run support. We line our DEs so wide that it stretches the run gaps a bit so we need the MLB to plug in. Which is 1 of the reasons why we've always been soft over the deep middle, also why Tulloch had a ton of tackles this year.

Add to that the fact that our interior line was regularly getting beat and you suck the MLB up even more. Throw in an ineffective S and you have a serious problem stopping any TE or slot receiver. Tulloch could be better in coverage but he does a decent job with what he's asked to do.

7. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

If we add Big Al, I'd agree that our dline is fine, and we'd be in a great spot if Amukamara slid. Id rather use the first 2 picks on D unless Locker is there in the 2nd. I want no part of Ryan Mallett, and if his character issues are true, I expect the Titans to take him off their board completely. He is getting a rep as Ryan Leaf part II. I would rather wait until round 3,4, or 5 and get Devlin, Ponder, Stanzi or Andy Dalton.
    Defensive Coordinator has to be changed or it won't matter what we do. Assuming it is, and using your Haynesworth theory, I'd love to see us land Amukamara in round 1 and Deandre McDaniel in round 2. Take Devlin or Ponder in the 3rd. No QB we take is going to come in and start this year, there just isn't that kind of QB in this draft, this is the rare year I would rather wait on a QB. They're all projects this year.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Jason Jones is a "BEAST"... when healthy.

9. Carp

Carp Starter

I want one of the top 2 CB's or a stud LB with the first pick. DL is ok. If we get Big Al, it will be very good, although a bit thin. But you don't add "depth" with a top 10 pick. You pick someone who will be an impact player.

Verner is good. I think he'll only get better with experience. I am actually more concerned with Finnegan going forward. The personal foul penalties he attracts have killed us at times.

But the real concern I suppose are the safeties and LBs. Hope just isn't good in coverage. Never has been imo. He isn't flat out terrible but it is clearly his weakness. And with his age, it will only get worse. I'd like for us to out right release him this off-season and pick up someone better in FA. Roman Harper or Quintin Mikell would be great additions.

10. ScotTitan

ScotTitan Starter

So lets say we get Big Al and McNabb
    We are picking 8th, Fairley,Dareus,Peterson and prince have gone.

Do we trade down? I reckon its possible.
    If we are after a LB then the top two Miller and Carter are looking like later first round picks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar