What QB Would Be Best To Bring In To Play And Mentor Locker?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkellyusa

bkellyusa Camp Fodder

I don't think we can really get Orton or Hasselbeck so it's Gradkowski who can at least win games, Collins who knows everybody and our system as it was in the recent past but may not be a real contender anyore and Volek who is somewhere in between I think.

2. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

What about VY? heh heh heh... Just kidding...

As far as mentoring Locker, I think that Kerry would fit the bill better than anyone. I also feel that Munch will stick with Kerry for at least this year. Our options for a veteran FA QB are not very impressive. I see us going the "safe" route and signing Kerry.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Collins has shown he can be a professional and is willing to work with a young guy. He is also every bit as good as Hasselbeck at this point of their careers although Hasselbeck might be a better fit in the new offense. I also think Hasselbeck will return to Seattle for a year or two anyway to finish his career there.

No way I see us spending draft picks on anyone after drafting Locker that high so throw out guys like Orton anyway. Even if we could get McNabb without giving up much I don't see him as much of a mentor. Yes, our options are limited. I suppose someone like Alex Smith might still be a possibility but he is going to want to go somewhere where he can have another chance at being the #1 guy for a while.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Where did you get that from? Your imagination?

Did it occur to you for 2 seconds to do a little research and look up Gradkowski's stats and record as a starting QB before saying that?

His record as a starting QB is 6-14. His career passing rating is 65.

He has never, never been a real starting QB. He has one season worth of pass attempts in 8 years of play.

His average yards per attempt is 5.7. That is pathetic!

Maybe you are confusing him with somebody else. Try doing better next time.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Do we want a mentor or a guy who can start for a year in a similar offense that we would run with Locker?

Alex Smith would be the best choice based on his age, how well he has played lately and because there is potential for him to maybe stick around a while if Locker needs the time or just doesn't work out. Smith is mobile enough where we wouldn't have to change the offense drastically from QB to QB.

Thigpen is not a horrible choice but he is not a good mentor type since his whole career has been just trying to make a team. The best mentor is somebody who has been a long time starter.

As a mentor Collins is the most logical guy. Kerry Collins not Todd. I'm surprised Todd Collins name hasn't popped up.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mcnabb is not a possibility here.

He will want a long term contract and wants to start for a few more years. He won't want to come in after we used such a high pick on a QB just to be a lame duck.

There are also serious money issues there. We will not pay big money to Mcnabb and Locker.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

RollTide if you could have any of the available QBs to mentor Locker, who would you want?

8. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

Trade for Carson Palmer. He can mentor Locker for 5, 6 years, so he can go be successful as another team's backup.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I got Bulger's name stuck in my head a couple of months ago thanks to a piece Mike Keith wrote. That's who I like in all of this. Bulger is not a bad qb. Plus, he's good enough to keep the job for a little while. I like the competition aspect. Kerry Collins will play so awful that we will be begging to see Locker... It will be exactly like 2006 all over again.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Really don't have any faith in Kerry Collins as far as the QB situation is concerned.does anyone see bad the offense looks when he is in there.its painful to see the same three and out pattern over and over.our offense had the worst time of possession in the league last year that no wonder our defense suffered.the reason the defense was so bad is they were on the field 40 or 45 minutes a game.please get someone in here besides Collins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar