What was "The Plan"?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

The spending spree is over and it's clear the Titans whiffed on a number of key players. But lets talk about what we know.

Personally, I think Logan Ryan was in the bag from the get go and the "plan" was to pair him with either Bouye or Kirkpatrick. That didn't happen, but it's easy to infer that Jrob is of the mindset that we should have a pair of veterans on the corners and not a rookie.

I like that.

Looking at the best of whats left, I have to think that right now Jrob is thinking of a way to bring in Claiborne, Trumaine Johnson or Malcolm Butler. I really cant imagine a scenario where we don't go after another seasoned CB.

As for Linebacker. It's obvious this was Hightower or nothing. There has been ZERO mention of us tied to any other ILB whatsoever. If Hightower doesn't materialize, I'm guessing one of those 1st's might very well be a backer.

We've also seemed to have little interest in any WR besides Cooks. Jrob is looking for something specific. I can't hep but think if we don't sign a speedster in FA, John Ross might very well be in the cards at #18.

Upgrading ST was clearly a huge part of "the plan". I love what we've done here, but imagine a new return man is on the horizon. Either Patterson or a draftee.

And finally safety. Cyprien has a clear purpose and I'm excited to see how he's used. He's a pure blooded in-the-box thumper who had no business being in coverage in Jacksonville. It seems that Jrob would rather have someone who is extremely good in one specific capacity than a jack of all trades, master of none.

Lets see how the plan unfolds....

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. titanthakur

titanthakur Pro Bowler

ALL IN ON HIGHTOWER

He comin

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Cyprien might play more of a nickle lber role for us. I think 1 first will go to wr/te and 1 will go to cb

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

We signed Weems as our returner

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Don't know what the "Plan" was, and not sure about how we are gonna use our Safeties, but it's odd thinking about how LeBeau used Polamalu and thinking about how Cyprien is strictly a Box Safety and now Byard will have to cover so much land and be exclusively in deep/shadow coverage.

Interesting to watch this play out seeing how bad Cyprien is in coverage.

6. sirjesse

sirjesse Starter

To build from the ground up. 3 special teamers and a factory worker. Now that the foundation has been signed, we can move on to the skill positions past supernaw.

7. DaCost

DaCost Starter

Going into the draft we still have to many holes.

OG-need an upgrade
    LB- need an upgrade
    Cb-need a number 1
    Wr-need a number 1

And now we also need an all around TE who can block and catch.

I just don't see all those spots getting fill in the draft.

8. sirjesse

sirjesse Starter

I like that song the redskins gm's sing:

You sign 16 players, what do you get? Another day older salary cap deeper in debt. Paul tagliabue don't you call me cause I can't come, I owe my soul to Daniel Snyder!
    They say gm's are made of flesh and blood, but redskin gm's are just full of yes's. if the first free agent does not get you, the sixteenth one will, I owe my soul to Daniel Snyder.

• LOL LOL x 1
  9. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

There really aren't that many holes for a team 2 years removed from a #2 pick in the draft. The potential #1 CB and receiver could be obtained easily with the two first rounders, and solid OGs and ILBs are common to find later in the draft and the current ones are doing well enough.

10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I firmly believe the Plan was and still is to address our areas of need. With Cyprien and Ryan we have absolutely started to address our weakest link. I still don't think we're done there, expect us to to add another CB before the draft and we'll most likely be drafting at least one. I don't see WR as big of a priority as a lot of people do. Did not want to overpay a guy like Jeffery or Jackson and glad we didn't. Pryor would have been nice but the fact that he signed with Washington tells me we made the right move.

Our ST unit was definitely our next weakest link and we went all in to fix that up. Sounds like we missed out on Brandon Williams and at that price tag I'm glad we did. His cousin Sylvester is not a bad consolation prize at a much more stomachable rate I assume. Bringing back Klug was huge, still believe he's our unsung hero on D so love having him back.

There is still plenty of time to add some more help before the draft so I still expect us to be in a position to go BPA. All in all, JR has a plan and is sticking to it. Trusting the process as he likes to say. I trust him and I will trust the process.

FA grade 3 days in: solid B+

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar