What would it cost us to sign Justin Houston?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Jan 7, 2015.

?
  1. Hell yea!

32 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenny

kenny Starter

In recent years Levitre is the one player I can think of that we jumped on. I didn't know that much about him, I had not seen him play much. He was regarded as the top guard though. All the coaches & media thought he was a homerun. I got fooled by that as well. I am afraid that BAD signing will push the Titans back into their old ways of taking left overs. There is no way we can fill the holes in this roster through the draft. There are just too many. There is a lot of defensive talent in the FA pool this year IF they get away. Some teams will be hard pressed to resign guys. The Bills will have a hard time resigning Jerry Hughes from what is being reported.

FA is usually a guessing game, but I like you, think Justin Houston is a no brainer. He would make our defense much better. A good pass rush will do wonders for our weak secondary.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You can't keep signing top tier free agents every year. No one has the money for that.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

BTW, any of these guys can be had for a small ransom...errr...fortune. Mario Williams went to the Bills for 1...100+million reasons. His contract was so out of whack, it was considered an outlier. Agents would bring it up to use and the teams would say you can't compare that...it's just too far out.

And that was until Watt signed his contract. But if you look very closely at the contracts, Mario's is more expensive because it's not an add on contract whereas Watt's is. Point being, if you want Suh or Houston you're gonna need to look at that kind of money. If we want Dez Bryant, we need to think about Fitzgerald type money AND convince these guys there is a plan to make us a contender quickly!

The biggest advantage we have is to use this year to pay one large contract upfront and our new cap space next year (after we get a lot of dead weight off our books....Levitre, Griffin, etc) to pay a 2nd. McCourty or Iupati could be structured to pay them out guarantees over the next 3-4 years. At best I think you could get 3 guys and maybe Roos. After 2 years the top 2 super stars would have more manageable contracts (say 8-10mill instead of 14-16).

Course, after Webster signed Levitre, Oher and Griffen's contracts, I'm not confident he can figure this out without putting us in cap hell!

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The pipe dream is still alive!

No movement between Houston and KC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar