Whats the word on Limas Sweed?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titan_fan_4ever, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i dont get much info on college ball here....its hard enough to get access to the nfl...but i was lookin at the draft info an people r giving him realy good rankings...n predictin that we'd get him...nyway just had a couple of questions...

did vince actually play with him at texas?

was he good when vince played at texas? like the leading/startin reciver?

if he is as good as they say...will he last till the later part of the 1st round?

would u guys think another option is better? i heard he doesnt hv great speed...perhaps we need some1 w/ better speed?

(i no its still early in the yr and heck even FINAL mock drafts are totally wrong by even the 3rd pick...but nyway gotta find something to talk about..plus i no prety much nothing bout college ball)

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

sweed and vince only played two years at texas together and i don't think sweed was a starter either of those years, that's why i don't understand everyone's thinking when they say "hey, vince threw to him in texas, why not in the nfl?"

well, how is what he did with sweed in two years any different than what he has done with roydell, jones and gage in the last two years?

our problem right now is talent(or lack thereof) at WR, not chemistry.

3. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

Yes, Sweed came to texas as a true freshman in 2004.

Sweed started the year they won the National Championship... 2005, He injured himself in the summer before his 2007 Senior Year, and didn't make it through the entire season without having to have surgery.

He could be still there, the injury, and question marks may have some teams turning away.

Sweed has enough game speed, he was just starting to develop a swagger, that most good receivers have, in 2005 he played kinda intimidated before that point. He also played in an offense where the ball get distrubuted to alot of different players, so his numbers weren't that great. One thing that I think he really is great at is blocking down field, since TX is such a run oriented offense, he became great at that.

My take on Sweed, from watching him his entire career.
    He is not a burner yet, still fast enough, to become a good receiver in the leauge. He played intimidated and uninspired his first year and a half. It seemed he gained confidence and a bit of swagger after the OSU game where he made a crucial catch.

He unfortunately lives in Roy Williams shadow, they are about the same size, but Roy is just ridiculously, naturally gifted.

One problem with Texas Players, is unfortunately they don't reach their full potential often in college and they suffer for it early on in the pros. Texas fans have been calling for the head of the OC for years, and it seems as if Vince made us forget how plain Jane our offense is, and we seem to win 10 games a year so life just goes on... Sound familiar. I think the biggest frustration is that we don't see star power develop while still in college, and sometimes it even regresses. I think that is what you see with Limas Sweed. I don't know if he is the best choice for Tennessee, but I think he has the potential to blossom into a really solid NFL receiver.

Do a youtube search on him... It's littered with highlights of him and Vince hooking up.

4. terrykalaka

terrykalaka Camp Fodder

just saw mcshay on espn thinks he could be a good risk to take in the first round the only question mark being his wrist that he has injured twice, apart from that possibly one of the best receivers in the draft, i think probably the guy from oklahoma may have slightly better hands so they say

5. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

Gage has only been here one year, in fact Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams are the only WRs that he has played with here for two seasons and they weren't very prominent in our offense in 06, so I don't really see you're point there. I agree that talent is more important than chemistry, but you can't discount the value of chemistry. One of the big problems I've seen from the few games I was able to watch here in VA is that Vince got to a point where he didn't really seem to trust his WRs (and I can't really blame him with all the drops at critical times) which really comes down to chemistry, and we really haven't done much to develop that. It could be argued that that's because we didn't have many WRs in 06 that were worth keeping that we wouldn't have had to overpay, but it's still a fact.

I am a big fan of Sweed, partially because of the chemistry with Vince, but only partially. Sweed is a big guy with good hands who could become a great redzone target for Vince, which was the main area where we struggled last season, I looked up the stats at some point and we were in the top five in the league in redzone possessions but last in td%. I think Sweed will be a great reciever in the NFL, and I would think our pick is about where he'll go.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that's a negative. gage was here mid-way through the '06 season.

brandon jones was vince's go-to-guy when he was in the line up. and they also practice with each other for the entire off-season. it is possible(and likely) that a wr and a qb can build a relationship in practice without playing in games. see bily volek and drew bennett.

in two years with vince he had 59 catches for 781 yards and five tds. i must be missing something with this chemistry thing.

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Where did you get the idea that Gage came mid-way through the 2006 season? He signed as a UFA in March, 2007.

Either way, the point is that no WR seems to have developed any meaningful chemistry with Vince. That's something we sorely need to happen. I'm not convinced that Sweed is the right guy for it, but I think he could be good value and fill a need position for us in the first round.

8. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Sweed was the #2 receiver his first year with vince and the go to receiver his 2nd year. And if you ever watched texas games you could see the chemistry between sweed and vince. And bigtitan he's also worked out with sweed every offseason in austin so that builds the chemistry. Vince and scaife seem to be on the same page most of the time so why not try it with another texas guy if we pick him at a reasonable pick.

9. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

Stats

Not making excuses for Sweed, but the stats in 2005 when Sweed was a sophmore, don't make him look too appealing.

But if you take a close look you will see that, TEXAS spread the ball alot because they had so many game-breakers on the field. It was one of the most efficient offenses I have ever seen. Texas was blowing out most teams by the half, they had an average margin of victory of 31 points, and averaged 50 points a game. I can only recall like 3 games where the starters played into the fourth quarter.

Guys like Ramonce Taylor, who was used all over the field, as runningback, or lined up in the slot, returned kicks, and could take it to the house on any given play. David Thomas was a TE who played like a receiver, Jamaal Charles, Vince, Billy Pitman, Selvin Young, Quan Cosby, Limas Sweed and many more.

I recall guys saying USC was gonna kill Texas because they had so much talent. The neglected to realize Texas had alot of talent too.

Another thing to consider is Texas is and always has been a run first team. They gained 3866 yards that year, with 5 players gaining more than 400 yards from scrimmage.

They also threw for 3083 yards that year. I think that stat is pretty amazing given that most of the yards through the air were accumulated in the early in most games. Where they then proceeded to run 3rd and 4th string backs to waste clock.

So while Sweed's number are not as impressive as other receivers, it doesn't negate the talent I saw on the field. He still has some blossoming to do IMHO, but I think if he gets to the right place and gets coached up, he can be a very solid, NFL receiver.

I think the chemistry argument is a bit over-rated, but I believe Vince and Sweed could spark something special again. Had Vince stayed his senior year, and played while Sweed was a Junior I think Sweed would have broke out, but "IF" is not a valid argument. :)

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The word on Sweed? Slow.

Late 2nd round worthy, but nothing better. He's done absolutely nothing in college, and doesn't have any great attributes to think he'd do anything in the NFL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar