What's wrong with the Titans...?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yes i agree, i think this year we will take quite a few teams by surprise, and im really looking forward to seeing vince in two tone blue, and taking our team all the way in years to come

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Let me re-iterate...or repeat...those were options. I said up front they weren't what I THOUGHT was wrong with the Titans.

I've been following the Oilers/Titans since '89 so I've lived through the lean times before. I don't need a new team, but shooting for .500 is hardly a ra-ra moment. I preferred going to the Superbowl against the Rams and seeing one of the best Super Bowl's in history. I'm hoping we can get back there and win one. I'm also thinking this is the approach the Titans should be taking.

Givens is NOT a #1 WR and Chris Hope is NOT the second coming of anyone. However they are solid players.

As far as matching up our talent, I did this a couple of years ago. It's amazing that during the year people talk about how wonderfully talented our players are but when comparing them to others, they suddenly become mediocre. However, I will dig out the info and present the case against Schwartz.

Here's something to chew on...

If we draft a QB at #3, 2 things will happen. First, McNair will become a Raven (or not be a Titan). Second, the rebuilding will be extended another 3-5 years effectively ending any chance that older Titans will have a shot at returning to glory.

And lastly, just because I disagree or challenge the party line doesn't mean I don't support this team. I do support this team and have now for 18 years!

Gut

3. hickoryholla

hickoryholla Guest

not that i wouldn't be happy with any of the top three qbs. i really believe that if we got leinart the rebuilding wouldn't take as long as anyone thinks. has there ever been a qb drafted by a team that his former o.c. is on? its really a unique situation that should be taken advantage of. it almost seems our offense, in the past year, has been being groomed just for this scenario. i mean with all the wr drafted last year, then picking up a vet this year. having the combo in the backfield and an athletic te who is on the verge of blowing up this year. it just seems obvious to me that leinart is the guy.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

If you recall, when Chow came here, he had to learn OUR offense. Sure he's incorporated some of his offense, but it's not like we're running a college offense. So the thought that he already knows the offense is not accurate!

Second, Leinart would still have to learn the most difficult thing all quaterbacks have to learn in the transition - reading NFL defenses and adjusting to the faster speed. This is where Leinart actually has an additional problem. He's just like every other top QB to come out from a pro offense, but it's 50/50 whether he'll be able to learn that. But the speed gives Leinart an additional problem that Young and Cutler don't have. Leinart has an avg NFL arm so any mistakes are enhanced (meaning knocked down or picked off).

Lastly, Leinart is the slowest of the 3 QB's and the fact that our pass protection was pretty bad does not bode well for his development.

So I see no way Leinart can help us get ahead of a 3-5 year rebuild.

On the other hand, Vince Young could start and do what McNair did. Run and throw it to the TE on 3rd down to keep the chains moving even though his passing and defensive reads are much further behind. His superb mobility also lessens the effects of having poor pass protection til we can shore that area up.

Cutler might be the best of the 3. Not the upside of Young, but he is more mobile than Leinart AND has a stronger arm.

Of course, despite the fact that the Titans are SAYING they might start a rookie, Volek SHOULD be the starter this season if McNair is released.

Gut

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Gut...

I haven't alot to state at this time. I form more opinions than I issue, but from reading your analysis it makes me wish you had been here for this past year. I hope you stick around all season long. You have really poured it all out and created an excellent thread.:cool2:

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Gut, I agree with a lot of your points, two comments...

WRs- Givens may/may not be a "#1" WR, he did well on a team where the ball is spread around A LOT, he may be capable of much better numbers. Time will tell. I've mentioned before though, I have a lot of criticisms of the whole "number 1" idea. Lots of people inflate that idea and to call someone a "#1", they really have to put up stats in the top 10-12 WRs in the league. I think Drew is capable of top 20 numbers with some better support. Also, I think we have a really deep WR corps with a lot of potential. Once we get Jones back, we'll have 5 starting caliber guys, with the possibility of Calico showing something. I feel like the need for a #1 is cut down when we have a bunch of capable guys.

New QB- I do think bringing in a new QB will slow down progress, but not for as long as you say. I could see 2 more years of rebuilding rather than 3-5. Depends who we bring in, hopefully we'll see that picture shape up in the next two weeks...

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

WPlantham, I agree with your round 2 strategy, but I don't think one of those RBs will drop, and we should draft whichever MLB or Olineman we think is best.

8. Brian

Brian Big Fan

I've taken the liberty of combining #'s 10 and 11:

Our defense has been on the decline since Schwartz didn't have the best talent in the league on D. They are undisciplined, don't hit hard anymore, aren't hungry. We need a new DC.

9. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

I agree....many are making excuses for Schwartz...not enough talent. THis is true, but even a group that is far less talented could be coached to play with a chip on their shoulder. Schwartz is gutless....takes no chances. If Peyton burns us for a 40 yard pass (when we blitz him) and we get a big hit on him right after he releases...I'd take that trade. He's going to get two 20 yard passes on us anyways (and not get hit) with our soft zone four man rush....
    Does that make sense to anyone?

10. FLTitansfan

FLTitansfan Guest

Chris Brown is a fine RB he needs to stay healthy, he was the lone bright spot early on two years ago then bam injury problems. So leave that one out. They will probably draft a RB in the 4th or 5th but theres no one better than Brown in those rounds. If Bush were a Titan they would be even better there but they don't need a RB. I agree with you that the Titans give Mac his walking papers. (I'll will root for him/them (the team he goes to)to do good provided the Titans don't have a chance). The DC might need a change. The OC needs time to develop this year is the proving ground. FS and WR should be improved maybe not the best in the league but solid. No way they need a new head coach this year. I dont have time to finish now but there is an answer to every gripe form an optimistic stand point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar