What's wrong with the Titans?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm sure there are many opinions out there. IMO, most of the problems with the team right now is due to OL and DL play and not taking advantage of opportunities.

Piller is a huge disappointment. The penalties are drive-killers. The Titans don't have the potent offense to overcome such setbacks in this dink and dunk Chowball scheme. Olson hasn't impressed me for a few seasons now. I also see the direction of a lighter OL and the offensive scheme as being in conflict. The OL doesn't appear to get the push needed for a power running game or to protect an immobile QB.

The most baffling thing about not replacing Olson and Piller is that now is the time to build a solid OL while the rest of the team is rebuilding. Assuming the goal for a series of playoff runs is '08 and beyond, why not put some guys in there with upside to have ready when Young is ready? Bell should start at G and Stewart at RT in Green Bay Friday.

Defensively, the lack of talent and depth on the DL is the main reason for most of the problems I see. Besides the long TD run, Haynesworth made a dramatic improvement on the inside from last week. You remove the big run of 62 and do a better job containing Vick and the Titans first defense only gave up around 100 yards of offense in the first half. Vick only completed half his passes for less than 50 yards. The problem is Haynesworth didn't have much help and DE play was horrible once KVB left the game. Schobel was awful from the right side and only slightly better from the left. Vick was able to roll out on him anytime he wanted. Hopefully, cuts this week give the Titans some options at both DT and DE.

Not taking advantage of opportunities is a holdover problem from last year. We had a number of drops in the first game. In this one, Finnegan had a ball sail through his hands last night. Mahelona had the ball carrier stopped behind the line. Both plays, if made, stop scoring drives and change momentum. They are not making those big, momentum-changing plays.

It's not all bad. Offensively, I like what we are seeing from Troupe. Wade is the real deal and may be the best receiver on the squad. It's encouraging how White gets the tough yards. But Chow has to find a way to create some rhythm. For whatever reason, it doesn't look like anyone is comfortable with this offense unless it is the hurry-up.

Defensively, Thornton looks like the best pickup of the offseason. But Sirmon isn't the answer at MLB and Gardner doesn't look any better to me than last. Depth on the DL and CB are a concern. The Titans D needs to stay healthy because they are thin.

I hope we'll see some OL/DL help come in this week after cuts. Going into the final preseason game, I'd like to see Tulloch start with the first team defense and Fuller go instead of Thompson. Slide Bell inside and put Stewart at RT. I hope they look at a G if one is cut as well.

If the Titans can begin getting better play from the OL, DL and take better advantage of opportunities, I think this team as a chance to get back on track. If they can't, then it'll be a rough ride for the team and the fans.

2. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Exactly exactly exactly and oh yeah... exactly. Our line play sucks on both sides of the ball.

I'm hoping we can get some decent talent after teams start their cuts.

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I agree with most of that. I would add one name, Amano. He's looked solid since his 1st season to me, even though there's not a lot to go by. He looks strong and mobile. At this point, I see nothing to lose by starting him along with Bell and Big Country.

Haven't seen enough of Finnegan, but he broke well on that ball at least. Not making the play just fits the recent storyline of the Titans though. Same for the Mahelona play. He gets penetration a lot, and I've noticed gets doubled a lot....but gotta make that tackle.

DE, DT, which needs more help? Can I answer both? :yes: I guess DE would be more important with LaBoy injury prone, Odom hurt and not living up to 2nd round billing, and Schobel looking nothing like his cousin in Buffalo.

Oh, anyone notice Thorton getting held bigger than **** on that long Norwood TD last night? He kept trying to pull away, and you can see his jersey getting stretched. Bad missed call, and more importantly a very costly one.

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

TJ, the Mahelona play makes me think, how can it be 4th and 1 and the running back get 7 yards on a run off right guard? the answer? Gang tackling, we don't have any anywhere on the field. One guy doesn't usually make the whole play, one guy gets penetration and blows up the play and then his teamates are there to finish it off. I haven't seen the Titans gang tackle in 3 years, that is coaching. We don't have an emphasis on urgency on defense, we have been brainwashed into this bend-don't break mentality, and it kills the nature of defense by limiting aggressiveness. :grrr: When we have all eleven guys flying to the ball, we create more turnovers and we make those short yardage plays, 8 yard gains end up being only 4, but apparently nobody cares.:gag:

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I wholeheartedly agree, guess there's a first for everything :ha:

We need help on the interior O-line. Roos and Bell didn't look to sharp against the Falcons, but I'm confident they're on an upward slope, unlike Piller and Olson who are bound to going down. Mawae seems like a good pickup, he hasn't made any spectacular plays but then again he hasn't made any big mistakes either.

On the D-line we either need another stud DT to compliment Albert. Heck we need one anyhow, since Albert probably won't be healthy for 16 games. And as Jeff points out an every down DE opposite KVB is also required. Laboy/Odom/Schobel/Conover etc. all seem to make the good play once in a while, but are not contributing enough on every single down.

I'm afraid Sirmon has to go. I really thought he could do well at MLB with his size and smarts, but he plays way to hesitantly for my liking. A MLB should be flying to the ball knocking people on their asses, and he just isn't doing that. I actually miss Kassell a little bit, cos at least he'd knock somebody on their ***.

Our secondary is still suspect. I think Pacman will be great and Hill looks to be good enough although not great by any stretch. I have faith in Hope even if he has looked bad in man-2-man coverage a couple of times. I don't know what Thompsons problem is... no coverage skills and no tackling skills = very bad defensive back. Woolfolk is a quality backup, but no more than that. I personally haven't seen enough of Fuller to say if he's any good, hopefully he will get time at S against GB. Finnegan and Lowry are special teamers and acceptable backups. The rest needs to be stellar special teamers or be gone, imo.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

There actually could have been a gang tackle on that play, wasn't for lack of effort, at least on LaBoy's part. Thorton was getting blocked, LaBoy was coming from behind to make the tackle, Thorton gets blocked into LaBoy and pushes him away from Norwood. 3 guys were there that could have made the play, they just didn't.

7. I noticed that too, annoying, some you get, some you don't

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

If we're gonna have a slow footed Mike, at least have one who takes on blocks better. That would be Kassell.

Since it's too late for that, Tulloch looks like the better option. Not that it'll happen :irked:

A lot used to be talked about about how much "QB'ing" Sirmon did. Well it's not enough, and I think I'd put it to a long time vet like Bulluck or even make Tulloch learn the calls (since he is supposed to be a cerebral player).

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

"Miller the drive killer" always had a good ring to it.

"Pillar" works too.

:bump:

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

When players are playing bad we never bench them. That is my #1 concern.

Atleast veterens, Fisher never benches them. And that is what needs to happen to Pillar and Sirmon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar