When did OT Become Viewed as the "Safe" Pick?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Fry, Dec 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I think OT has pretty much always viewed as a "safe" pick, due to the importance of both lines in football. I truly believe that the offensive and defensive lines are the most important aspect of a football team. So if a team is unsure who to draft the default postilion seems to be grab an offensive lineman because they always want to build a strong offensive line first and foremost. Also it's much easier for an offensive lineman to transition to another offensive line spot if things don't work out. If and OT struggles, then the transition to guard is doable.

Personally I think once you have a franchise LT, which we do, I think this approach should be thrown out the window. Franchise RT's, guards and centers can be found in round 2, no problem.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Except that hasn't been the case at all, at least not since 2000.

3. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

Thank you thank you thank you

This team can get a lot better with a legit playmaking star and a serviceable FA tackle. What does getting a top 5 tackle really bring us in wins/losses?

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

You really want Ramsey don't you @Fry ? I don't blame you, however I just see our GM (Ruston or new hire) likely goes OT. You have to protect Mariota and our offensive line is ****, we arguably could use an upgrade at both tackle spots. Unless we land a key OT in free agency, I think Tunsil is (sadly) the pick.

5. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

That may be the case, but I think that's the thinking. It's an easier transition that say, DT to OT, or WR to Safety.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

This isn't an argument for or against anyone. I just don't understand the reasoning that OT should be the pick because it's safer than everything else. The Titans are a prime example. I GUARANTEE you will read a handful of people from now to the draft argue that OL is "safer" than the other positions and we shouldn't gamble because it'd be potentially wasting a top pick.

I remember three years ago when Dave Caldwell and Gus Bradley were hired in Jacksonville. They took Luke Joeckel at 2 because they thought the OL was a safe pick and they didn't want to get their first pick as GM/HC wrong. Joeckel has been terrible.

If we're going to relate this to our pick and the prospects available though, Laremy Tunsil won't make Taylor Lewan or Chance Warmack better, which seems to be the reasoning for taking him #1. Drafting Tunsil will supposedly get Mariota hit less, which I don't think it will. Tunsil won't fix LG, C, or RG.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I want Ramsey. I'm just so sick and tired of our secondary being the achilles heel of our defense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

We need experience on offense and need more good young players on defense, especially the secondary. I think we go S and CB in the first two rounds. Sign a good OT and C in FA.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

I would be very happy if that is what we do. Very happy indeed.

10. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

This is what I'm talkin' about.

YOUR TEAM: TENNESSEE TITANS

Your score is: 8509 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 1: Jalen Ramsey, CB/FS, Florida State (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 3 (S.D.): Vadal Alexander, OG/OT, LSU (B+)
    Round 3 Pick 1: Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 1: Jayron Kearse, SS, Clemson (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 6 (S.F.): O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama (A)
    Round 5 Pick 1: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 17 (BUF): Kenneth Dixon, RB, Louisiana Tech (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 1: Eric Striker, OLB, Oklahoma (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 19: Kevin Hogan, QB, Stanford (A-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar