When does re-build mode come in effect?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Let's face it, this year isn't going the way anyone planned. We have a slim chance of making the playoffs, something "special" has to happen for the titans to get a playoff bid. Not to mention we have injuries (but it is football); So this season pretty much has worthless written all over it.

So where do we go from here? Do we need to completely re-build like we did in '04 and '05?

Our team is infested with older players and 2010 free agents.
    Here is our 2010 free agent list:
    • LenDale White
    • Alge Crumpler
    • Bo Scaife
    • Eugene Amano
    • Kevin Mawae
    • Tony Brown
    • Kyle Vanden Bosch
    • Keith Bulluck
    • Stephen Tulloch
    • Nick Harper
    Then we have older washed-up players like: Kerry Collins & Jevon Kearse

Let's face it, why do we have Kerry Collins starting, he won't be anywhere in a year or two but at home, Vince Young could possibly be somewhere. Let's get Vince Young in the game and see if he can work some magic. We do however have young core peices to our team; Cortland Finnegan, Chris Johnson, Kenny Britt, Jared Cook, Gerald McRath, Ryan Mouton, Jason McCourtey, and Michael Griffin.

So were looking at a Top 10 pick, what do we take there? QB, CB, LB, DT? To top it all off we don't have a second round pick because we traded it for Jared Cook he's seen next to none playing time -why?

Is it time to go into "re-build mode" and wipe out the management and get some key FA's and have a strong draft like the Dolphins last year and the Jets this year? I think so. I wish we didn't have to fire Jeff Fisher, but he's to calm and shows no emotion he should be the GM or something. I want a guy like Rex Ryan who will do anything to win not like Jeff Fisher, Mike Heimerdinger, and Chuck Cecil. Mr. Heimerdinger has the worst play calling strategy ever and Mr. Cecil thinks that we still have Hayneworth and can send 4-man blitzes and produce. Wake up and smell the coffee boys.

C'mon Titans/Bud Adams... let's go!!

2. customtitan

customtitan Special Teams Standout

it came into effect at 0-4....

3. PBV

PBV Camp Fodder

Fisher did start Hayes over Kearse, so it has already begun.

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I'm not 100% how it would work out, but if next season is uncapped, Tulloch may be a RFA. If that's the case, I won't mind if we tender him a 2nd, and see someone pick him up.

I think Bulluck will be franchised.

Still, you're right, we have a lot of issues to address. Extending Brown is a must.

I'm not sure why people are teeing off on Heimerdinger. I like the play-calling. The execution, however...

I've stood firm that many are sudden fans of Vince because they realize that our future at QB is bleak, and I still stand by that. The hope is that somewhere while playing, he'll "get it". I doubt he could outperform Collins (who's also inept), though I do hope that with the season now being lost, we can finally get to see what Vince does with this offense. The sad truth is that Fisher may plan on starting Kerry next season, and may want to keep Kerry in so he can build a rapport with his new receivers. With the QB in place for next season, the Titans are free to draft defense in the first.

Cody might be a welcome addition, and you have the option of moving him to NT if you ever decide to switch to the 3-4 (Not likely, especially with Fisher, but Cody could still be a big disruptive space eater in a 4-3). I feel it comes down to QB or DT in the first round, especially if we are drafting in the top five, and it looks like we might. Either the Titans feel like the team simply couldn't overcome the loss of Haynesworth, and draft DT, or they feel like our QB's are inept enough to warrant a top five QB (maybe McCoy).

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The season is not over yet even though our chances are very slim. I expected the Colts to annihilate us but we were very competitive until the last minute of the first half. The Pats are not as invincible as they used to be so let's see if we can get the ball rolling next week.

Yes and no. There will be a major overhaul, but not a complete rebuild job. MOST of the pieces are in place...but making key trades, fa aquisitions and drafting will be more important than ever before. Continually drafting TE's in the 3rd rnd has kept several good players off our roster and that kind of nonsense has to stop.

Kearse will stay if he keeps his salary low and can accept a backup role. If he wants big money - bye. Collins will stay through his contract. If Cince can't beat him out, Collins starts next year. If Vince CAN start, Collins stays to back him up. If they cut Young and draft a young QB, Collins will start for his last year before turning the reins over.

VY will start when they feel the season is over. I would guess if we lose to NE, that'd give them 2 weeks to get VY ready. If Fisher is stubborn, it won't be until we lose a 7th game. It's possible we make the playoffs at 10-6. 9-7 is almost impossible seeing as we have so many losses in the AFC.

They love drafting TE's, even if they aren't gonna make a significant contribution for a few years. Meanwhile, we have other spots that could have been upgraded at WR, LB, DL, CB, ect. But we're where we are. They could offset some of this by starting to trade away players that won't be here but could help another team. They need to do this NOW! If we got multiple 3-5th rnd draft picks, we could really re-stock the team quickly while not really losing any players that would start next year.

Unfortunately, who would you want to bring in? Shanahan has had great offenses but BAD defenses. Cowher has had the supreme benefit of Dick Lebeau's defense and he still only won one super bowl under him! Plus, it's highly likely Shanahan goes to Dallas and Cowher to Carolina. Did you want to bring in a young offensive minded coach like Brian Schottenheimer...but we have no idea who'd he get for DC and what kind of D system they'd employ. best case scenario with that would be to bring in Schottenheimer and have him steal the Jets DC and bring in the Rex Ryan D. With some FA aquisitions, trades and some draft picks, we could retool the D fairly quickly and then get back to playing ball. It's a thought, but I think IF we clean house with the coaching staff, then we need to bring in a dominant D kind of guy and an offensive wizard to be creative with the offensive. And for all things holy, bring in a REAL Special Teams coach. Being last or near last in starting field position is because we don't have a great returner. Being last or near last in opponent starting field position mean our coverage untis are dreadful...and THAT goes to coaching!

Gut

6. xpmar9x

I think it's started.

7. CKTitan

CKTitan Special Teams Standout

If it hasn't started after Jacksonville it definitely started last night; as far as the draft it'll either be a DT or LB NOT a QB. Coaching on the other hand if Fisher becomes the GM he'll want one of his former assistants or someone who coaches Fisherball

Tulloch would be restricted along with Scaife and Brown, if anyone is franchised it'll be KVB because the market won't be strong for Bulluck plus he doesn't want to leave Nashville.

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Not so sure Tony Brown would be a RFA. Seven year pro.

And I seriously doubt the Titans are going to franchise Vanden Bosch. He's been unproductive - not worth top five money. I know that if you put some behemoth next to him, he'll probably be productive again, but his play from the last couple seasons hasn't warranted a franchise tender. I think he would actually sign a new contract to something reasonable otherwise. If not, we've been getting better production from the younger guys anyway. It's unfortunate. Put Vanden Bosch's heart in any one of those guys, and our D-Line is never questionable.

9. xpmar9x

I'd say now!!! 59-0, wow.

10. TitanBlazer

TitanBlazer Starter

Rebuild now with the coach on down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar