When is Vince going to open it up???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Psychop1, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Before I get started, I'm not bashing Vince. I think he has excellent talent in what he does, and has a great drive to win. I also realize he is only in his second year. I just simply want to compare him to McNair, partly because McNair was our last franchise QB, and partly because Vince looks at McNair as a mentor. McNair struggled as a passer for quite a while, then he opened it up in 2003, and became Air McNair, which also had a lot to do with Heimerdinger.

I might be alone in this thinking, but I think our WR's are fine, and maybe the only thing holding Vince and the WR's back is ball placement. If Vince could hit these guys in stride more often, this offense would be damn near unstoppable. I'm just curious as to when you all think Vince will break out as a passer.

He's already proven to be an efficient game manager, as McNair always was. Should we expect Vince to struggle for several seasons, as McNair did, then have a surprise break out season, or do we expect him to break out sooner, as he has a bigger drive to win??? I think he'll break out sooner, as he showed a commitment to becoming better passer over the offseason by flying WR's to Houston so they could practice. I've already noticed some improvement this early in the season.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I don't think ever. That is not his game. He's an accurate passer, as proven in college, but he's a game manager, not a aerial assault waiting to happen. Vince is perfect for Fisher. Vince is what he is. That's how I look at it. And that's pretty damn good. He's going to win a lot of games by making plays.

McNair was a passer in college. Vince never was. And shoudn't be asked to be something he's not. He's a winner. That's all I care about. I'm serious too.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think Young will never be one of those in the Brady and Manning mold who are consistently sharp every time they step on the field. But if he can have two or three drives a game like he did in the fourth yesterday, and eliminate the more of the errors as he appears to be now, that'll take the Titans far.

4. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Agreed.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Did you miss the 40 yard pass to Roydell yesterday? How much more do you want it opened up?

6. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I don't see him being like Manning or (ugh) Brady, but maybe more like McNabb. Not even like McNabb really. I think before it is all over with, you'll only be able to describe his style as being like Vince, but maybe you can see where I'm going with this. I think Young wants to open up as a passer, as I see him being more hesitant to run with the ball. Not that he's running less exactly, just that he seems to be taking even more time in the pocket so far this season. Plus, I think him flying his receivers to Houston for practice on his dime points to him wanting to become an efficient passer. With Vince's drive, I think he can do anything he sets out to do.

I agree though, he's going to win a lot of games no matter what. He has an amazing drive to win.

7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

That's actually one of the passes I want to pick on. Ball placement. Roydell had to stand there like a statue and wait for the ball. The corner bit hard on the pump fake. If that ball hits Williams in stride, it likely goes for six.

8. BigSteve09

BigSteve09 Camp Fodder

co-sign

9. Titans256

Titans256 Starter

We need a more solid and CONSISTENT receiving corps. We do not have that now. Brandon Jones, Eric Moulds(?) and MAYBE Bo Scaife is all we have. And those guys are marginal at best IMO.

We need a 2 consistent play-makers at the WR position. Many of the passes that are dropped would be caught by PLAY-MAKERS.

Every great QB has at least 1 WR who is almost automatic, especially when the game is on the line.

McNair had Mason. Young has ??? at the moment.

10. Nine

Nine Starter

True. Slightly underthrown, or slightly late.

However, last year, Vince would have put so much air under that ball, it would have hung up their forever, giving the safety and the corner plenty of time to recover, and make a play on the ball. Yesterday, he put some zip on the ball, and hit Roydell when he was still wide open.

The fact is, Vince's throws across the board look much better than they did last year....both the long balls and the short stuff. He still puts up the occasional stinker, but the overall improvement is noticeable. (Even in a poor showing at Jacksonville, he went 11-18....62% completions).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar