When is Vince going to open it up???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Psychop1, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Here's the thing. VY actually looks to throw. He has demonstrated his willingness to sit there and wait for something to open up. Now some of his passes are erratic, but he has definately improved, hell even from the first game when he missed on throwing a couple of WR screen passes that he skipped on the floor. those passes this week were right on target to Gage. VY's inexperience, and I actually believe Chow's conservative playcalling coupled for some of the Offense being somewhat limited. Now we can't see what's happening downfield so we don't know whether it's the receivers inability to get open or is VY just holding the ball too long and not making good reads, or a combination of both also. One thing is for sure, I think the more he gets comfortable with the offense, and his receivers, Chow will open it up more. VY definately has the desire, and the skill.

You all say he won't be Manning or Brady and that's true only b/c he is not a true pocker passer in that sense, but I honestly believe that he will put up 3500 yds passing & 25+ TD's in this league consistently and add to that his rushing yards, and there ya go apples for apples he will be AS good as those two b/c of his intangibles. Hell, I too like to compare him to Mac too, and it did take the better part of 5 yrs(and Hermindinger to come in as OC) for him to be able to start throwing the ball down field.

Let's try to remember, he's only in his second year (Sophmore), and his first full year underway as our starter. Trust me he's going to be a beast.

2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Every receiver started out with no name. Two of the bigger names in the league, Terrell Owens, and Chad Johnson, usually lead the league in drops.

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Vince hit several passes in the last 2 weeks that didn't necessarily look like much, but were very significant for those wondering how he's developing as a passer. His struggles with the short out routes, hitches, screens and square ins have been well documented, and he's thrown a bunch of those in the past 2 weeks - passes that last year would have sailed or been thrown in the dirt. His TD to Roydell was a very tough throw in very tight space, and he nailed it as well as any QB I've seen.

As for his long pass to Roydell, my first thought was that maybe it was underthrown a bit - after looking at it I'm not so sure he didn't put it right where he wanted, with the safety closing in over the top if he had led Roydell the chances of a pick were high as were the chances of him getting leveled. Vince dropped it right in the hole where neither the CB or S could get to it, and that left Roydell the space to get inside of the S for a few more yards. Maybe luck - but maybe not. If he meant to do that it's a good sign that he's understanding the defense and where the hole in the coverage is.

So after seeing the improvement so far from last year, I think by the end of the year he'll have a much better feel of timing and he'll be hitting enough passes to be very efficient. If he continues to work, in 2-3 years I think he could be better than McNabb or McNair. I actually think Favre could be a good picture of what Young *could* be down the road - erratic at times but when he's on he's on.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree Young will never be Manning or Brady as a pure thrower but he should improve some in his accuracy and decision making at which time his throwing stats will be solid. He actually had a nice game throwing the ball against the Colts despite having a few passes dropped that were catchable and a few times he missed guys wide open. If he can just eliminate a few of those errant passes and make a little better decisions he is going to be very difficult to stop.

5. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Vince only takes the deep shot when its totally there, he doesnt want to risk it, dont blame him, when guys like Brandon Jones drop a 10 yd curl that could win us the game, Id rather have him go to a short checkdown than throw a jump ball

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Right... and the checkdowns are something that Chow has been preaching to him. It'll take a few years to be confident in squeezing a long one into what feels like tight space - until he's got the trust with his receivers down, take what you know you have.

My only complaint so far is that they haven't seemed to try to exploit the middle of the field much - with either the TEs or with Jones on a post. Last year, he and Jones had that 20 yard post down very well - we only have seen it once... he hit I think it was a 26 yarder to Jones over the LB and under the safety. Hoping we'll see more like that next week.

7. whitevick331

whitevick331 Guest

Has anyone noticed so far agianst two good defenses, vince youngs passer rating has gone up since last year. and also his completion percent has gone up. He completed 62% agianst INDYs secondary, which shut down drew brees and more than proven quarterback. So i think vince young is heading in the right direction. Also throwing that td, to Rwilliams, he put some zip on it and put it where only his guy could make the catch, also same goes for the comeback to roydell on the last drive. Vince has improved and he will keep getting better

8. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

All of the comments about VY and his development, experience, throwing motion, etc. are irrelevant. The answer to your question is definitely not for the next 4 years. Fisher just signed an extension and when have you ever known him to air it out? More Fisherball for the next 4-5 years. I am not complaining, however, fisherball has won us a lot of games.

just my two cents

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I miss the Dinger sometimes, though.

10. Chem

Chem Camp Fodder

VY is a good passer (just working with new, and not star, WRs).

What I'm waiting for is the 100 yard rushing game. I think Coach Chow needs to work in some more designed runs. Fact is, they will work. Vince runs that smooth. It's time to start using our RBs to misdirect the LBs, instead of just using the QB to misdirect.

Maybe even work in something completely different. Flea flicker running play?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar