When is Vince going to open it up???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Psychop1, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

As some have already posted I think Young is standing in the pocket a little too long for a good reason.

My gut feeling is that he's determined to improve his passing game & focusing on that rather than taking off running. A few times against the Jags & the Colts he stayed at home too long & even took sacks because of it.

At least once during the Jags game he had a clear lane to the end zone & didn't take it. He hasn't looked really in sync yet apart from the late drive against the Colts. I'm not concerned, these growing pains will pay dividends long term. Once he's comfortable passing he can run at will & teams will have to pick their poison.

The Colts had a great scheme to clog the running lanes but I wasn't impressed with Lendale at all. He doesn't hit the hole fast enough or hard enough.We all know Chris Brown can blow hot & cold each week but Lendale isn't the bruising back he's cracked up to be.

We'll need a solid running game every week to allow Young to develop his passing game.With Lendale I don't think we'll get the production we need.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

My take:

VY is in year 2 of a 3 year course in development. Last year, Fish and Chow let him out there to get the speed of the game. It appears this year, they are keeping him between the tackles to work on his progressions. He has elected to pass rather than run on multiple occasions despite an open lane. Only a few of those were completions. I'm sure that is killing Vince right now- as evidenced by his frustration. As the potential for play-offs draw closer this year, I believe we'll see VY rolled out of the pocket by design to get the yards/scores to get us to the play-offs. Keeping him between the tackles is a necessary cost of his education. (It killed me with the Colts game 'cause Sanders was cheating in the box so bad- I wanted VY to rollout and hit BJ or CD on a SLGO or even a deep out after the CB bit for the run).

I believe we will see some focus on his footwork and release next off-season to make him as "complete" a QB as possible.

3. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I agree with sanders basically playing LB something mid range over the top would have been wide open. I'm sure the coaches saw something I didn't or they would have taken a shot at it.

4. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

If Mario Manningham, Michigan, enters the draft this year I hope we pick him.

5. Titans80

Titans80 Do ya thang!

I don't consider Scaife's level of play marginal...he has made quite a few critical plays when we needed. People tend to associated his level a play because of where he was drafted. Scaife was a steal at the 6th round considering we as pegged to be a 1st round draft choice before his injuries at Texas, and has been very consistant, which I consider a PLAY-MAKERS. :))

6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

There should be a number of good recievers in this years draft Malcom Williams, Limus Sweed, Mario Manningham, the Kid from Oklahoma State are just the ones off the top of my head. I think there should also be a pretty good free agent crop of recievers as well.

7. Titanics

Titanics Guest

I had to read closely to see if the original poster was being serious or a jerk when asking this question.

The question you should ask is when will Jeff Fisher change his coaching philosophy of run first? I say never.

What do critics of VY want from him? To throw for 6 TD's like Palmer or wear 3 Super Bowl rings like Brady or to end up with more TD's than Favre? I don't understand your definition of "opening it up" but In my mind, VY does it every game.

8. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

Monday Night!

9. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

What's wrong with my question??? If you don't think Young is trying to improve as a passer, then you're not watching the games. I think Young can do anything he sets out to do, and I think it is apparent he wants to improve as a passer. He has been presented with several open lanes to run through, and he didn't run. He stayed, poised in the pocket. It's only a matter of time before he opens it up as a passer, which was my question; when??? I never compared him to Palmer or Manning as much, but more to Steve McNair, who opened it up in '03. Also, if you actually read past the title of my my original post in this thread, you would realize that I was talking about Vince "opening it up" in the passing game.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Steve McNair had more completions and yards in 2002!

Bullcrap!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar