When the Titans are trailing and we're on defense, how do you feel?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

TOP is much better than last year.

2012 Titans TOP - 27:41
    2013 Titans TOP - 32:18

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

our defense deserves much of the credit for our top change this year!

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Better OL and lack of an idiot OC has help a lot there.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

Thank G/D Chris Palmer is gone, he drove me nuts with his play callijng. Our defense says thank you loggains for being competent.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well, I think Sundays win vs the Jets will now have more people feeling good about us on D.

6. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

I believe our D is top 15 in all significant D categorise and Top 10 in the major ones (Yards/points)

It's refreshing after the torment we went through last year....I don't have a huge gripe to pick with the D so far.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

First off, like many, this D is NIGHT AND DAY from last year....MUCH IMPROVED and playing up to the talent level! Not only that, a but a LOT FEWER MISSED TACKLES has been a gigantic difference. Some of that I attribute to caoching (Williams) as well as Pollard and Fokou setting the tone. There is also an accountability that was lacking in past seasons as well.

To give one example, against the Chargers, late in the game when they were winning and needed the ball back, they ran that fake dive and pitched the ball outside play. Morgan was totally folled inside and Griffin saw it, but broke down on our side of the LOS so the RB got the first down. When the Jets tried it, Morgan was at least closer so there wasn't a cut back but Griffin atacked attacked attacked and we STUFFED them!!! Not only did I feel good about the play, but we are seeing people actually LEARN from mistakes and improve...even in 1 week! That's what I mean by accountability...see the mistake, correct, make a big play!!!

Additionally, we are using a lot more personel packages and different looks to bait and confuse and pressure. It doesn't always work perfectly like when we rushed 3 and dropped 8 and Geno had enough time to eat a sandwich, go to the fridge to get a drink, and oh yeah, convert a 3rd and extremely long. But that Style of defense also dismantled that QB so much he tried to do a high school move with the behind the back thing and gave up the (forget trifecta...is there a quadfecta?) sack, forced fumble, fumble recovery, and TD!!! Kluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many times have we faced a rookie QB who we hoped to make like a rookie only to see them play better against us then others? I think we made Smith look as bad as anyone will...so much so that people are starting to question in NY whether Smith is too raw to be playing right now (though they have no other options as they don't see Sims as a starting QB). That's a psychological beat down.

Right now we are the 7th best D in points allowed and 9th in yds given up per game. I think we can be a top 5 Defense because I see some room for improvement and if our Offense can be more consistent to rest the D, that will also help.

BTW, KC is #1 D in points allowed, gives up fewer yards then us, a lower 3rd down conversion rate for opponents and has forced almost twice as many fumbles (lost) then we have. Our D will need to play an A game against KC Sunday if we want to win!!!

But yes, I feel a lot better when we punt and the defense comes on the field now then in the past. I know we have a good chance to force a 3 and out or get a turnover!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar