When this guy talks, you'd be a fool not to listen

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Brian, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Phil Simms

Simms casts doubt:

CBS game analyst and former New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms often times gets a little frustrated with what qualifies as personnel evaluation these days, particularly when it comes to quarterbacks.

Such as the conversations he swears up and down he had with a team executive recently.

“This a high, high, high-ranking person in this league who I’m talking to and I swear the conversation goes like this,” Simms said. “The guy says: ‘I really like Matt Leinart, but there’s no doubt that Jay Cutler is the guy physically who can do it. I really, really like Jay Cutler, but it really bothers me that he didn’t win more in college.’

“At that point, I wanted to smash the phone into the wall. Winning in college? Like that’s supposed to be the key? The guy played at Vanderbilt. But I hear all these guys talk about how they want ‘proven winners’ and want to ‘see if this guy has that look in his eye.’ I swear, if John Elway was coming out this year, I’m not sure he could be the No. 1 overall pick.”

To Simms, the search for intangibles at quarterback has overwhelmed the bottom line.

Can a player make the plays physically?

“We see it all the time at other positions where they use all the stats like height, weight and speed and see how guys succeed based on that. But at quarterback, we don’t look at that. We want to find that special something. Look, the reality is that you have to have certain physical characteristics to play the position and those things are measurable,” Simms said.

“So many people in this league are now really afraid to pick the wrong guy and forever be second-guessed, so they talk themselves into all these things about how this guy has done this and that guy has won so many games. It’s just nonsense.

“This one coach I was talking the other day started going on about all these different qualities and whatever else and finally I said, ‘If you think he has a good enough arm and he’s reasonably intelligent, shouldn’t you be able to teach him to do this stuff you’re talking about?’ The coach just laughed and said, ‘Yeah, you got a point.’ ”

In that vein, when it was brought up to Simms that at least one NFL offensive coordinator viewed Leinart as a third- or fourth-round pick, at best, Simms didn’t argue.

“He’s exactly right, but all this other nonsense gets in the way. If you put Josh McCown and Matt Leinart out there on the field right now and nobody knew their names and their reputations, just let them throw side by side, it would be interesting, I would bet there’d be a lot of people who would say, ‘Hey, that right-handed guy (McCown) is a whole lot better.’ “

2. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

Interesting

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Never was a big fan og Simms, but he is making some sense, but only some. I agree it's stupid to rate Matt Leinart based solely on USC's winning record, however it's stupid to rate players solely on their height, weight, 40 times and so on. The only really good measure in my opinion is game tape and individual workouts/interviews, everything else is circumstantial at best.

4. Troupe4Prez

Troupe4Prez Guest

Lienart 3rd or 4th round??? WOW!!!! This coming from a hall of fame QB? C'mon phil wake up !!!

5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Simms didn't say that, he just didn't agrue it

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

In that vein, when it was brought up to Simms that at least one NFL offensive coordinator viewed Leinart as a third- or fourth-round pick, at best, Simms didn’t argue.

“He’s exactly right, but all this other nonsense gets in the way. If you put Josh McCown and Matt Leinart out there on the field right now and nobody knew their names and their reputations, just let them throw side by side, it would be interesting, I would bet there’d be a lot of people who would say, ‘Hey, that right-handed guy (McCown) is a whole lot better.’

Sounds like he agrees though.

7. danny

danny Guest

Simms has never been one to mince his words...

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I still don't want Matt
    despite knowledge of the OC / system

I think he'll be a Jet

he shoulda come out last year

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

‘If you think he has a good enough arm and he’s reasonably intelligent, shouldn’t you be able to teach him to do this stuff you’re talking about?’ The coach just laughed and said, ‘Yeah, you got a point.’ ”

And I still want Vince on the team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar