When will Mariota surpass them?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thaddeus43, Sep 22, 2015.

?
  1. weeks 3 - 4

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Weeks 4 - 8

30 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. weeks 8 -12

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
  4. weeks 12 - 16

6 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. He won't

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rekirts

rekirts Starter

I'd give Mariota a C- from the last game. He was off a couple of throws and he still needs to improve his footwork. He needs to SLIDE although he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will be injured (unless our O-line has anything to say about it...). He got bailed out on additional turnover or two with flags. Also not sure if this is on him being a rookie or the offense having too many changes but why are we snapping the ball with 2 seconds on the clock every play?? Maybe intentional but it cost the offense a TO or two and gave the defense a bit of a jump on those plays... I'm thinking its the youth of the offense.

However you still saw things you want to see from a young QB. Hes still really accurate, he made multiple reads on multiple plays. Fought thru an admittedly bad O-line situation. Rallied the team and kept them in it till the end. Didn't single handily take us out of the game like VY and Locker would do some games. And honestly it would have been a ****** situation for any QB with the amount of 2nd/3rd and longs due to boneheaded penalties and the crappy oline.

I think this is the kind of game that shows how Mariota will look when hes/the offense is not preforming. A "floor" for him. This was basically the worst situation for us, getting down 14/21-0 too early and trying to rush a score instead of establish the run and believe in the defense. Dumb penalties didn't help the gameplan first happen either of course.

I think the run game will be critical for Mariota to have success this year (basically true of all rookies I guess). If we can establish the run better and be less predictable in playcalls it will open up the play action which Mariota looks killer at.

#51 rekirts, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  2. Old Oiler Fan

Old Oiler Fan Starter

Yep it seemed like the whole team was a little off Last Sunday and not quite ready to play. Because of the embarrassing loss they should be ready and focused this Sunday. I look forward to finding out.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

I wouldn't even say we looked that bad. Outside of 3 flukey plays (2 50+ yd bombs and a punt return) we shut them down on defense. The other score for them was a short field because of a turnover. We had them at 1 & 25 and bailed them out with a penalty to extend that drive as well.

The entire 1st half was ruined by turnovers and penalties. If we cleaned those up I'm positive we would have scored at least twice. Once we did clean those up, we dominated them. They could do nothing on offense, and our offense moved the ball well and scored 2 td.

We beat ourself more than they beat us, and Marcus still had a good game despite that. There were a lot of positives in that game.

Also the the obligatory, "our line sucked bad for most of the game." That is one of the only negatives I saw besides the penalties. I think we're on the right track and I'm confident this team will be in the playoff hunt this year if we can clean up those easily correctable mistakes.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Well he sure didn't try to get the ball to Wright, as seen by my FF score :(

5. Rudad

Rudad Starter

I also think the WR separation was not good. They were not getting open very quickly.

6. IceBurg

IceBurg Rookie

So fumbles don't count as turnovers now?

7. Rudad

Rudad Starter

He looked rattled in the first half. Heck the whole team was rattled in the first half. But he came back in the second half and looked better. And yes our line still had problems in the second half. He does need to do a better job holding on to the ball. Turnovers hurt!! He still looked way better than Winston did against us. Now that is looking like crap.

#57 Rudad, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Didn't say that, I said no interceptions. Fumbles, while not ideal, are easier to fix than interceptions. Just like reading with words is harder than just looking at the pictures.

9. IceBurg

IceBurg Rookie

No pocket awareness is harder to fix than a few bad throws...

• WTF?! WTF?! x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  10. .AirMcNair.

.AirMcNair. Special Teams Standout

You can expect him to be on A-Rod's level never.

I mean, is it possible he reaches that level? I suppose nothing is impossible, but having those kind of expectations, regardless of what year you're expecting it by, is foolish and setting him up for failure.

People often talk about, going in to drafts, finding the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers...and they don't seem to realize you're asking for one of the top 5 or 6 QBs in NFL history.

It's why Andrew Luck is called overrated/overhyped by some. Andrew Luck is a damn good QB. He's not peak Peyton or peak Brady or on Rodgers' current level, but he doesn't have to be.

You should look for him to be the next Steve McNair. Or the next Rich Gannon. Or Trent Green(hopefully his career is longer or better for a longer time than those two, but around their general peak level). Those are franchise QBs. Those are top 10 QBs(in their era, not all-time). Those are guys you can win superbowls with.

Expecting him to be arguably the greatest QB ever(Rodgers has had arguably the greatest peak of any QB in history)? Might as well give up on him now if that's the case.

• Boring Boring x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar