Where do good players come from?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Arguably our top ten players...

Keith Bulluck -Drafted by Titans
    Albert Haynesworth - Drafted by Titans
    Michael Roos -Drafted by Titans
    Vince Young - Drafted by Titans
    Rob Bironas - FA Aquisition
    Algea Crumpler - FA Aquisition
    Kyle Vanden Bosche - FA Aquisition
    David Thornton - FA Aquisition
    Chris Hope - FA Aquisition
    Kevin Mawae - FA Aquisition

Looks to me like a pretty good mix of building through the draft and free agency signings. Thoughts?

2. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I'd put Stewart in there over Alge.

Alge is still to be determined if he is a top player for us. Not that he isn't but I want him to do it in titan blue before I put him up there.

Can a K really be a top player. Yes he was a PB and is very good but K come and go. We just seem to have good luck and they usually aren't draftd anyway.

Draft:

Bulluck
    Haynesworth
    Young
    Roos
    Stewart
    Griffin

FA:

KVB
    Hope
    Thornton
    Mawae

It's pretty close though your right. You always want more of your top guys through the draft.

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

The draft is far more important than free agency. Yes, you can sustain a franchise through free agents, however, you cannot build this way. Some teams try to do this every year, but the Titans mix it up, which I like.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

All Free Agents come with a weakness, otherwise they would not be Free Agents.

But to answer your question, they come from Iowa.

5. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

id prob put in Finny instead of Mawae (mainly b/c he was such a gem in the 7th and Mawae is kinda seasoned)

the thing i love most bout finny is his 'i-will-get-into-any-tackle' attitude...while i remember him bein penalized for that...i love it...the guy will burst from his cb position to wherever the ball is an jump in the middle of a moshpit to try to get to the ball.

also instead of alge i too would maybe choose stewy...or possiblty tulluch - im big on tully...he could be a real star. the few times he's started at MLB, he often lead the team in tackles. shows a real nose for the ball...i think he should start over fowler.

6. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

they are born in dragon tears

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If you made that list before FA we could have Olsen, Bell, Odom and LaBoy on the list...all drafted players. Obviously Pacman was a drafted player and I doubt we would ever spend the money to get a guy of his talent via FA.

The draft is critical. FA doesn't usually help teams all that much. I think the Scott signing was a real good signing which gave us back one OG of the two we lost at a decent price but upper tier players are expensive, hard to come by and rarely work out.

8. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

I stopped reading once you said that Mawae is a top 10 player on our team. He was the worst lineman last year for pete's sake, and arguably a bottom 4 starter on both sides of the ball.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The draft is far more important. Look at the average salaries of those drafted players compared to the FAs. You draft well in rd3 and beyond you get good players who are cheap on the cap.

I'm not sure what criteria is being used for these lists of players but i would certainly rate our starting thousand yard RB ahead of griffin or mawae.

Does the top 10 really matter anyway? Maybe the top 20. And as soxcat said we lost several pretty good players in free aggency that were acquired from the draft.

10. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

You do know Benji Olsen played last year.

Yeah I forgot Finny I would put him in there over Mawae.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar