Where do you rate Pacman?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by deeluxx3, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elgatogordo

elgatogordo Guest

You don't suppose quarterbacks like to throw at Bailey, or any other top CB, do you? While it's true that QB's didn't throw at Pac a whole lot last year, don't forget there's been a 7th-round overachiever on the other side. That could be the reason. I don't think many reasonable folks would argue that Pac isn't a LOT better than Hill. That's why Hill had more tackles, I'm sure.

QB's don't like to throw at Bailey either (consensus #1 CB in the league), but he still got his picks, pDefs, and tackles.

I would never contend that Pacman isn't 'good'; He is. But to be considered a top-flight corner, I think you have to put together a season in which your all-around stats stand out as among the best. I'm not totally discrediting his completion % and Yards Per numbers, but those alone don't make him a top-ranked CB.

Walt Harris finished 1st in forced fumbles, 3rd in interceptions, and 4th in tackles. In terms of last year's production, isn't that better than Pacman's? He isn't even mentioned in this thread.

2. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

NOw I like Jones and wish we had him the facts from last year are he was 18th in the league for int's which is pretty good but definitley not the top. IN tackles and deflections he falls behind Antrel Rolle ( 84 tackles and 10 passdef) Nate Clements ( 70 tackles and 16 passdef ) Antoine Winfield ( 97 tackles and 10 passdef) Champ Bailey ( 85 tackles and 11 passdef ) Ronde Barber ( 98 tackles and 13 passdef ) Dunta Robinson ( 82 tackels and 10 passdef ) just to name a few ( Pac's is 62 tackles and 8 def ).
    Jones is a good corner and like I said I thought this year would really be his breakout but he isn't tops in the league.

This was just mentioned before I could get it but how canyou say that he doesn't get more stats because no one throws to him? Champ seemed to get 10 interceptions? A couple others toolike Nnamdi Asomugha and Asante Samuel.

3. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Champ
    McAllister
    Harris
    PACMAN

4. elgatogordo

elgatogordo Guest

Should've written this too: I initially envisioned Pac as a top corner by year 5 of his career. It does take CB's a while to 'get it' in the NFL. Of course, whether or not they ever 'get it' is dependent upon their time on the field and reps at practice. He's getting neither. I was a vocal supporter of Pac (for a while), and wanted him as our #1 pick in my 2005 mock draft. However, while I was a fan at first, his stock has plummeted in my eyes, not just because he's a thug, but because his talent is dying on the vine.

I hope he does get back at some point this year, I hope he does pretty well, and I hope we are able to trade him before the 2008 draft. I like what we've done with Finny, Griffin, and even Harper. I see potential there that is actually being APPLIED. All I see with Pac is a future of disappointment.

5. ONUV

ONUV Starter

exactly

6. SephirothSK

SephirothSK Camp Fodder

Those are the wrong stats.

Our game charting numbers for 2006 are now very close to complete; we're missing eight games out of the entire season. Look at how Pac-Man Jones rated compared to the league's other corners.

Yards allowed per pass attempt (minimum 48 passes)

Pac-Man Jones, TEN: 5.4 yds/att
    Jason Craft, NO: 5.5 yds/att
    R.W. McQuarters, NYG: 5.6 yds/att
    Walt Harris, SF: 5.9 yds/att
    Nate Vasher, CHI: 5.9yds/att
    Champ Bailey, DEN: 5.9 yds/att
    Nick Harper, IND: 6.0 yds/att

Asante Samuel, NE: 6.2 yds/att
    Stop rate (stopping plays short of 40% of yards on first, 60% on second, 100% on third)

Jason Craft, NO: 64%
    Pac-Man Jones, TEN: 63%
    Al Harris, GB: 62%
    Champ Bailey, DEN: 61%
    Courtland Finnegan, TEN: 61%
    Charles Tillman, CHI: 60%
    Mike McKenzie, NO: 60%
    Chris McAlister, BAL: 60%
    http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/footballoutsiders/AFC_South/27811

I don't think he slipped in the 2nd half of the season. I think Griffen can be a great CB, but I think Pacman could of been one of the best ever.

7. NationofVols

NationofVols Camp Fodder

He's among the Top 10 OVERALL corners in the NFL.

8. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

If he was playing this year id rate him a little lower then Champ. When he comes back week 10 (I believe he will) he will prove hes worthy of the 2nd best CB in the league distinction. And when Champ finally decides to hang up the cleats. There will be a new man in the NFL all receivers fear to face. And his name. Is Adam Bernard Jones.

9. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

And, more likely than not, he'll be playing for the Raiders, if not the CFL.

Dambed shame, too.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'd rate him top 5. And he should be a pro bowler. He has everything (even the work ethic) to play the game like a star. Just needs to settle his off the field antics which - knock on wood - it's been awhile since he has done anything stupid borderline illegal.

So in the end I would like to show off the new signature I am sporting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar