Where does marketing play in all this?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

We're better off drafting Leonard Williams, a couple offensive playmakers, and a RT. Build a team around the QB, if Mettenberger sucks, we can draft a QB in 2016 (the potential QB class is legit) or pickup Phillip Rivers (who is a FA, and may leave due to the LA crap).

• High Five High Five x 5
  2. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Tough decision no doubt...not take the potential franchise QB,something this team has been missing since McNair, and set the team back. Or not take Williams and face him twice a year with a divisional rival.

3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

That's the route I would go

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Take Leonard, unless a trade blows you away. Then i'm trading #33 back to mid-2nd and pickup an additional 3rd. We'd then have a 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, and 4th to pickup a RT, RB, WR, and OLB (in whatever order).

Next year, we can make the decision on if Mettenberger did enough to keep his job, or if we should look at a QB in 2016 (and I like a couple QB prospects). Or, even better Phillip Rivers looks to get away from LA, sign with us for his final 3-4 years. We then can put another entire draft class on positions other than QB. Could actually see a deep playoff team next year, if that happened.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

You can't bank on a future class being chock full of top prospects. We've seen time and time again how much draft stock can change in a year. And even if there are a couple really good ones, will we even be in a position to get one? (As we've also seen you can be pretty bad and still not land a top 5-10 pick)

Also wouldn't bank on being able to pick up Rivers. Don't forget that San Diego can franchise him if they so choose. And then there's the part about he would have to actually WANT to come here if they did let him walk. I wouldn't assume because Tennessee is next to Alabama and Whis coached him for one year that this is the organization he'd want to finish out his career with.

Just too many variables and uncertainty imo. I think this all ultimately boils down to how much the FO likes Mariota. Period. If they love him and believe he could be a franchise QB then it'd be moronic to pass on him and assume you're going to get a great rookie next year or Philip Rivers. And if you don't like him very much or believe he can be a franchise QB then you definitely don't take him at 2.

6. 615nick

615nick Starter

Winning is the only way to boost profits long term. Drafting a well known guy will only get you temporary growth. With said, if you have a "celebrity" and a winner on the board, you take him. If they have similar grades on two or more guys, the one with a personality and/or leadership qualities should be the pick.

7. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Sounds good to me....you're hired!

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Hopefully, ownership is wise enough to sit back and not meddle in a decision as important as this. However, they didn't hesitate to have a "shift in thinking" about Tommy after one season. The only reason to remove Tommy is that they didn't care for the direction the franchise was moving.

If they didn't like how Tommy was doing things, why should they feel the person Tommy relied on most, Webster, is doing a good job?

And, to take this further, if they don't believe in Webster, why would they think his recommendation for the #2 pick is gold?

This is all hypothetical but that's what we do here when we have time to allow our minds to roam.

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

With a team that is falling so hard right now, I think QB is the pick to make. Even their most dedicated fans are having a hard time supporting, especially after all of these offseason ownership shenanigans.

Mariota/Winston could buy the franchise minimum 1-2 years of hope, unless they are Johnny Football bad.

A DT very well may be the better long term pick.. But with this obviously desperate franchise, you have to swing for the fences, show that you care. I won't show up to see this DT unless he is absolutely a monster. I may show up to some games to check out a new QB.
    This team needs a rallying point, and there is none. Casey/Walker are not enough to inspire a fanbase. It all starts and ends at that QB position... Unless this DT will suddenly make the defense look like the Ravens of the past 15 years.

VYs early years were almost a success compared to what we've endured since 2009. That's how bad it is. Playoffs are such a distant memory.

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Though I don't agree with the pick of Mariota, I do agree that the ownership may see things exactly as you do and force Webster to make him the pick if they don't trade out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar