Where would you select VY in an open draft?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TdotTitansfan, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Anybody that took Vince Young #1 overall in this scenario wouldnt have a GM job very long.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

more dumb then picking a QB with a rating of 66?

Fact is all you need in this league is a good defense, a good O-Line and a running game.

3. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

I dont think it requires explanation that I consider VY a sure thing to be an MVP-type player. So yeah, he had a 66 rating, but that will improve. And besides, that rating was developed to measure slow white guys. It will always undervalue what Vince brings in terms of running, leadership, team chemistry, and clutch play.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

He was by no means perfect, nor the best QB in the league. As someone said before if you pick VY with the #1 pick you would not be a GM for long.

5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

TdotTitansfan starts a thread asking who you would take in an open draft then starts telling everyone they are crazy for not taking Young first :rolleyes: :suspect::ha:

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

A lot of slow white guys with high QB ratings have won superbowls, so though it doesnt take into account every aspect of a QBs game, there does seem to be some merit to the QB rating system. And I like Vince and think he is going to be great, but if this were a real situation nobody in the right mind would take Vince first overall. Assuming you have enough rounds to fill the entire team, I dont think anybody in their right mind would take him before the 10th round.

7. I think most of you guys are missing the point. I am asking you to think of the long term when making this pick. I'm not talking about the present. Some of you act like VY has reached his potential. Like his 66 QB rating was really indicative of his play last season. I agree that Defense and O-Line & the running game are all integral parts of the winning formula but can you solidify those spots with just 1 pick? The answer is no. I think Floyd Reese once said something to the effect of everybody on my team is tradable except the QB. QB is the single most important position on a team. With your 1st pick you want an impact player. Could it not be agreed upon that VY was one of the single most impact players in the league last year? All this as a rookie who was supposed to be raw and not ready to play for 2-3 years. Look at the scrubs we have he had on offence and we were productive when he was in there. Our running game was non-existant without him. O-line play improved wiht him. The defence even rallied around him. How many players in the league can make that kind of positive impact, let alone as an unpolished rookie?

8. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

What so many people are missing is that most GMs in this situation would want to take care of the QB early on, I'd be willing to bet that at least four of the first five picks and probably half of the first round would be QBs.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

You are trying to say that the #3 pick in a draft, after a successful rookie year by everyone's account, who set rookie records, who won rookie awards, would not go in the top 320 players. That is not being in the right mind. He was named to the top 80 players just by making the probowl. If you even multiply it out 3 picks a year x 10 years. That puts him in the top 30.

A GM who did not select young in the top 60 would be fired. He would probably go in round 1 or 2 right now.

10. 300 players would be drafted before VY! You have the balls to say that anybody in his right mind wouldn't draft him in the top 300. That is insane!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar