where young has to improve

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

he needs to stop airing out his passes....they often float too high. if u noticed (i watched the game) the long pass to b. jones could have eaily been a TD it just went well over him also his accuracy is a concern he missed a wide open completly uncovered ben hartstock which would have easily netted the 1st down on a 3rd down play, he just needs to fix these 2 problems and and i think we will see even more improvement(although i like young doesnt stare down recivers he really has fixed that...and i hope it says that way)

2. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

The pass to Jones was over thrown, but not by much. If he had timed his jump better he could have caught it, or at least not have tipped it straight up for the defender to catch.

3. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

the reason is his footwork.............him and Chow work on it everyday and he is still thinking about his mechanics instead of just letting it flow..............the two TD throws were perfect examples...........he looked off the safety and without thinking he planted opened his hips and threw it perfectly...........the other one he kept his hips close and derotated because he was thinking about his footwork during the throw.............he will get better at this as time progresses............Chow has done wonders with his mechanics already. It is not liek every throw is off..............some he is spot on and on others the ball floats because he is thinking before he throws it to get his footwork correct.................it will come

4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Vince is already better than 3/4 of the QBs in the NFL and still has unlimited potential. He will fix any errors in his game because he is a perfectionist and the hardest worker I have ever seen.

5. zackmann

zackmann Guest

vince needs to work on getting better WR's...

:)) :)) :))

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Vince can "flick" the ball just fine, he just doesn't have the touch on certain passes. As Bongo pointed out, it is just mechanics. He has to square up on short passes and point his body where he is throwing. Notice in the Giants game both short passes to the left were very low. He is throwing across his body, and doesn't get the right torque to keep them on target. His deep throws don't have enough air under them due to the sidearm type release, and he loses his accuracy. Same thing happens on 15-20 yard passes but in a different way, as he doesn't follow through and they sail on him. The "flick" is a nice thing to have on certain passes for a quick release, but it gets him in trouble at other times.

7. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

I've noticed so far this year that we haven't used the corner route in the endzone, where the WR runs towards the back corner of the endzone and the QB puts the ball right over his shoulder for the TD. Can Vince not throw that pas due to his throwing motion?

8. zackmann

zackmann Guest

i don't know about the corner route in the endzone...

but I thought Vince has thrown the corner route in the middle of the field really well...maybe on of his better patterns to throw to....

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

How do you throw a corner route in the middle of the field?.....lol. The corner route he is talking about is a fade pass to the corner, like the one Keyshawn caught in the first half. You put a lot of air under the ball and let the receiver either run under it or go up after it depending on the size of the receiver/defender.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I don't see how we can say he's better than 3/4 of the QBs in the league. He's certainly not in passer rating, not in TD/Int ration, not in any stat except rushing... hmmmm. I'd say he's there in terms of leadership, but that's hard to measure up. Also, hard for a rookie to lead as well as someone who's been there a while. Vince has quite a ways to go to prove himself as a passer and QB, but I'm excited to see him do it. He needs to work on his timing and accuracy. You can see him improving (i.e. the looking off DBs), it's just a matter of time. I honestly don't expect him to look like a great passing QB until at least third year, and I don't really think he'll ever put up huge passing numbers. The important number to me is his win/loss record, and I think he'll produce great results there.

But I don't think we can say he's better than 3/4 of the QBs in the NFL at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar