where young has to improve

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zackmann

zackmann Guest

it is really easy...

you run 10 (or 15 or whatever) and you break your pattern a 45 degrees towards sideline...even though you are not near the endzone...it is still called a corner route...

just like the post pattern isn't always near the goalline...

was this serious?

I figured he was talking about the fade that just turns into a jump ball...but he didn't say anything about the jump ball part...

but back to the corner route (opositte of the post pattern), vince throws that pattern really well...I think he completed a couple of them on sunday....and yes they weren't near the endzone, they were in the middle of the field....

2. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

Thanks TNThunder, that's exactly the route I was talking about and the exact play I was watching last night and wondering about why we don't use it.

3. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

The fact it cost Carolina the game last night may have something to do with it....

Seriously, I don't know. Bennett is probably not the best at going up after a ball in the end zone, and I don't know of any other receivers we have that could do it either. That pass does require a lot of touch, and maybe Vince just doesn't like to throw it. Maybe some Texas fans can tell us if he threw it in college very much. You really have to have a big, strong possession type receiver to use that play, that would be my best guess as to why we don't throw it.

4. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

Very true about the receivers. I was just wondering if it was a pass he couldn't do or wasn't comfortable with it or if it was the lack of confidence in the WR. Eventually the defenses are going to catch on that he mostly seems the throw the the TD passes in the endzone on slant patterns, or so it seems so far. Not complaining here I am simply curious.

5. split_six

split_six Guest

Limas Sweed caught the game winner vs. OSU '05 on a fade. Not to rip too much on the recievers, but I believe the next time they make a play vs. man coverage on a nine route or fade will be the first :)

The sidearm motion has much less to do with the trajectory of the ball than the footwork. I think Bongo's analysis was right on. The interception to Scaife, VY didn't look off the backside safety. On the two TD's, he manipulated the backside safety.

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I don't know every play we run, but I swear when I saw Drew line up on the left and Vince look over to the right I knew exactly what was getting ready to happen.

As far as trajectory, go out in the back yard and throw some passes like he does, then throw conventional, that is bringing your arm up over your head and releasing the ball beside your ear. You will see a definate difference in ball flight and angle.

7. split_six

split_six Guest

I must respectfully say that I don't follow you. The release point determines the trajectory of the pass either way. You can throw the ball in the dirt (see Hartstock) or sail the ball (see Jones) by missing the release point.

8. zackmann

zackmann Guest

and then take a 5'10 qb like brees and have him throw over the top and compare that to a 6'4 vince young and have him throw with his arm at 45 degrees...

and I think the difference in ball angle will not be that dramatic....

but don't take it the wrong way...i use to play QB in high school (and i'm also 6'4) and I know the importance of the correct throwing motion...

at first I would throw it too much like a baseball and I really had to work hard on my throwing mechanics and releasing the ball near my ear...I always though it helped my consistency more than anything...

but just like in basketball and baseball, odd throwing (or shooting) motions can still be effective (just ask shawn marion who shoots like a girl or any side arm pitcher in baseball)....

9. plato

plato Camp Fodder

Watching Matt and Cutler throw low high and everywhere else and people say it's because thier rookies... Vince does it and it's his motion..

Don't look now but Vince is now over 50% for the season and the last two games has been over 60%...

Matt Lienhart is at 55% and has one of the best set's of WR's in the NFL..

Vince's motion is fine and his footwork will get better and better... I think he will end up being a very accurate QB just like he was in college..

10. Nine

Nine Starter

In VY's defense, the INT to BJones was thrown dead on the money; there was a bit of incidental contact between Brandon and the cornerback at the 10-yard line, which broke his stride just a bit, causing him to be a step late getting to the ball; without that little bump, that ball hits Brandon perfectly in stride, and is probably a touchdown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar