Which new coaching hire did you want for the Titans?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alex1939, Jan 18, 2013.

?
  1. Chip Kelly - Eagles

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Bruce Arians - Cardinals

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Gus Bradley - Jags

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Rob Chudzinski - Browns

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. Marc Trestman - Bears

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. Doug Marrone - Bills

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. Andy Reid - Chiefs

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  8. Mike McCoy - Chargers

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

If you're talking about guys like Gruden and Cowher... Sure I'd love to have either one, but they don't seem like they want to coach at the moment. I expect both to be back, but the team situation would have to be better. I still consider our team a good situation considering all the talent on defense, but most would view us as a train wreck.

Are there big name candidates in 2014? There aren't really any good coaches in danger of getting fired next year. I've never seen so many coaches fired after a season than this one. Rex Ryan is the only decent coach in danger of being fired.

Are there good college coaches I'm not thinking of?

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I guess I just don't get how you can say "It's where I would put my money now" and then be so constantly combative with everyone who wanted Munch gone. Do you really think our 2012 troubles were all about personnel?

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think the reality is that we were decimated by injuries on the O-line, our starting QB was hurt and our backup is capable but a backup for a reason at this point in his career, the running game had real consistency problems, and the defense is incredibly young and inexperienced.

Next season I expect better luck in general regarding injuries and some progression for our players BUT that is still not enough to be a playoff team without either a huge jump in Locker's game or significant contribution from free agents and draft picks.

As I said, right now I'd vote we aren't a playoff team but let's see what happens in free agency and the draft.

That is one reason I've been pretty combative against the doom and gloom, 2012 season isn't even over yet and people are talking how we are the worst team in the league next year!

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I actually do expect us to finish 4th in our division next year. Swept by Colts and Texans, split with Jags. Same old story.

If that's what it takes for Bud to realize it's time to clean house and go outside the organization (that has no rings, mind you) for once.

That's what's so comical about us hiring from within. It's not like we are the Steelers or a team with a bunch of rings where hiring from within could be a good. We are hiring from an organization who has no rings and very little success in the playoffs altogether.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Our OL was god awful, even when fully healthy. Well, Amano was out before the season officially began but I think we all know that wasn't any big loss. Locker being injured is a fair enough point. That said, IMO many of his issues in 2012 were decision-making related and not necessarily the shoulder. But sure, he needs time to progress and we'll see what happens if/when he makes it through the entire season healthy.

As for the run game and defense consistency issues, I agree with you there. But one could certainly argue that's on coaching as well. I mean they've been working with most of these guys for 2 years now. Really, all of our problems aside from injuries point back to coaching IMO. I think the "we're young" excuse is a bit of a cop out honestly. Several teams in the playoffs are younger than us.

I get it. I think some people are definitely going overboard with the "we're gonna have the #1 pick" talk. While I certainly wouldn't rule it out, I think it is going to the extreme at this point. But you gotta admit, when you look at both the 2012 season and the moves that were made/not made on the coaching staff, there's really not a whole lot of reason for optimism.

People are just frustrated. If we're being honest we were even worse in 2012 than our record indicates. And so far we've made exactly zero significant changes. I guess you could point to Reinfeldt, but he wasn't even the GM anymore. Even though he probably needed to go anyway, it appeared to be more of a scapegoat move just so they could someone at the top was fired.

Meanwhile, we're looking around and seeing teams like the Jagrags, Chiefs, Browns, and Cardinals completely cleaning house. We're seeing the Bears fire their head coach after a 10-6 season where a game out of their control kept them from a playoff berth. We're seeing the vast majority of other very bad teams making at least one legitimately significant move.

And yet we do nothing. It's just so damn frustrating when so many of us can see that the writing is already on the wall. There just seems to be a different standard of what's acceptable with this organization. And it really sucks.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

The performance of the offensive line was inexcusable. Not just in 2012, but in 2011 too.

"This offensive line is good enough to win a Super Bowl."-- Mike Munchak during his first press conference.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

the common theme in TN is that all groups of our players are good enough to win a super bowl. the only problem is that no group is strong enough to take us there.

we are eventually going to have to get a group that is the true strength of the team that can carry us to wins.

8. Alex1939

Really, which teams?

And is it all coaching? Did Munch and Gray say "let's cut Finnegan and re-sign Griffin longterm"? They could have, but we (or I at least) don't know that.

I don't think Bill Walsh, Jon Gruden, Vince Lombardi, Bill Cowher, Bellicheat, or any coach in history would've made our team a playoff team last season with our personnel and injuries.

I assume by completely cleaning house you mean their coaching staff because certainly none of those teams are gutting their entire roster or even 50% of it.

Elaborate on different standards because that sounds like nonsense to me. Different standard by whose settings?

9. Alex1939

Do the Texans have less of a standard of what is acceptable than the Titans?

They still have Kubiak as head coach and he went five straight years of no playoffs including 6-10 in his 5th year.

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Seattle, Minnesota, Green Bay, New England. Granted GB & NEW have two of the best QBs in the game. Point still stands though. All 4 of those teams are much better coached than we are.

No it isn't all coaching. But coaching did nothing at all to write home about. Certainly nothing to deserve another shot. Of our 6 victories only 2 of them were convincing wins. Of our 10 losses, 6 of them were absolutely annihilations.

I can't say whether or not a truly great coach would've made us a playoff team or not. Pure speculation obviously. But a good coach certainly gives you a better shot. If Belichick were coaching that team I'm extremely confident we'd have ended up better than 6-10, by at least a couple wins. To say we wouldn't have is saying either A) Munch is as good as Belichick, and/or B) head coaches have no real affect on a game.

By completely cleaning house I meant coaching staff and GM.

This is simply something we'll never agree on. I'll state my case, you'll say it's BS and ask me the same question all over again and then accuse me of not answering the question.

But just for s*&#s & giggles, what I mean is that all too often simply not being the absolute worst seems to be a good enough reason to stay the course. Just look at how long we stuck with Jeff Fisher, despite all the times he failed. Despite the six game losing streaks. Only a few times were we ever TERRIBLE under him, but there was a whole lot of mediocrity spread throughout his tenure. Yet we just kept on rolling with him.

Then in 2012, we're routinely butt-raped by good teams and have two convincing wins all season long (one of which was against a 2-win team). The players performed horribly. The coaches performed horribly. We field the worst defense in Titan history. And none of that is enough to make heads roll. Meanwhile, you have a team like the Jagrags giving up on their scrub HC after only one year. They recognized he was a scrub and a bad hire, so they quickly cut ties and moved in another direction. No excuses. Horrible results = unemployment line.

It's not as if Munch has ever done anything to deserve the benefit of the doubt. Zero previous HC experience. Zero previous game-calling experience. More often than not, his team was simply not prepared to play on Sunday.

Most teams would have NEVER hired Mike Munchak (or a guy with his similar experience) to begin with. That's another example of what I mean by our standards being different.

• High Five High Five x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar