Which one is the best coach(with a twist)?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by emong, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I don't buy into this theory at all. Certainly Belichick has helped Brady win multiple Super Bowls, but I tend to believe that great QBs will rise to the top even without a top coach.

I don't think coaches make QBs or QBs make coaches. Both sides influence the other, but I think an elite QB can do a lot more for a mediocre coach than an elite coach can do for a mediocre QB.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Last time I checked there's two sides to the game and Fisher IS a defensive guy. So why does our defense suck most of the time? In the last 5 years the defense has been good what 2 out of those 5?

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. emong

emong Rookie

This may or may not be true in the case of Brady who has had only one coach(who proir to Brady's coming had a losing record and not "created" a great QB) but I doubt that this reasoning is true with Manning who has had 3 coaches, John Elway(3 coaches), Phillip Rivers (3 coaches). The statistics clearly show that an elite QB improves the winning percentage of an average coach. We can discuss the qualities of an elite QB in another thread(Intelligence, work ethic, natural talent, leadership, etc) but clearly it makes a huge difference.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I've been waiting for someone to point this out, I knock Fisher too much for anyone to remember this very point, so thank you for posting!

Fisher, the pro & college scouts, along with the General Manager work side by side deciding who to acquire. The fact that Fisher can only coach the virgin players so he can corrupt their impressionable minds is pathetic. We don't sign big name free agents not to save money, but because Fisher doesn't know what to do with any of them. See Randy Moss & Kevin Carter. Jeff Fisher should go to the college level, he'd be better off.

5. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Yep. And he doesn't like players with egos because he's the only one allowed to have one.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That coach has to be willing to mold his scheme to the strengths of his QB or you see unrealized potential.

Let's use McNair as an example.

The until 2003, Fisher kept him handcuffed. The goal of the passing game was to avoid mistakes. McNair wasn't the most accurate passer at times but it wasn't until a horrible start to the season that he decided to turn McNair loose.

MVP season. He made Fisher look really good that year, didn't he?

So, was McNair just coming into his own that season or did Fisher finally let his QB play? No way I give credit to Fisher for anything McNair did that season because he was forced to change offensive philosophies.

7. emong

emong Rookie

The stats are accurate(if www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com is accurate) and we need stats to evaluate performance, just ask anybody who went to school and was graded. The grades/stats may not accurately reflect the actual abilities of the person but it sure closely approximates it.
    "The quality of the opponent that each coach faced with and without the "quality quarterback""?????? I guess they all faced NFL quality players. What quality are you talking about? I don't have the time to go back and research all the percentages of the opponents all these coaches and QBs played and so for now the numbers will suffice

8. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Congrats Toronto, you are one of a small minority that gets it 100%. Frank Wycheck said the other day if Fisher is sent packing and VY stays the fan base will be deeply upset and will make noise. I knew when VY was drafted it would be the downfall of Fisher.

9. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Lol. Billick won a SB with the greatest Defense ever against who..... Kerry Collins.

Gruden won with a great defense over Rich Gannon.

Billick and Gruden were also fired and haven't coached since.

10. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Jeff Fisher is the very reason McNair won an MVP!! Jeff Fisher has a winning record with McNair, Collins and VY. To say he couldn't take the Titans to the highest level with a Level 1 QB is asinine.

I love McNair but he has the worst MVP numbers of any QB EVER. He won because he had played hurt year after year and shut his mouth and was everything you'd want today's youth to be like on the football field, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar