Which QB do we draft?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Sabomnim, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanTime

TitanTime Special Teams Standout

Didn't anyone learn anything from 2011? Just cause you need a quarterback, doesn't mean you have to reach for one. If Winton and Mariota are off the board, why take a QB at that point? Those are the only two QB's worth a first round pick (and probably a top 5 one at that) IMO. If you really like someone either trade up a couple spots to grab them (I know we need the picks, but a franchise QB is priceless) or simply draft another position of need. No more reaching for QB's in the first.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Frankly, the only QB I'd consider with our first pick is Mariota and that is with some gigantic conditions. If you take Mariota, you have 3 options. First, you change your entire offense to suit his skills and current football knowledge (like Washington changed their offense for RG3). Think a cross between Chip Kelly's offense and the spread Washington put in for RG3. Which then would beg the question, can Whiz change and call a completely different offense if you want him on the field in yr 1?

Or second, you might have to sit him on the bench for a season to teach him how to play in a conventional offense. Now, I'd sure as heck put in a red zone/shortyardage package for him to utilize him a bit and get him on the field some, but he won't be your starting QB for a season in the hopes he can run the show in yr 2 or 3.

Or third, you do the old Peyton Manning. You annoint him your starting QB and let him work thru his growing pains and learn ON the field.

If you are willing to accept one of these conditions, he is worth drafting. But if you need him to be Andrew Luck or Matt Ryan in year one and you're not willing to change your offense, don't take him in the first round (though someone will).

Someone will take Winston in the first because they will see the arm strength, convince themselves that his good tape is what he can be all the time, look at his wins and 4th qrtr comebacks and decide to overlook all the negative stuff from his off the field stuff to his on the field issues. I could see a team trading up to #1 to get Winston just as I can see him drop out of round 1 and go early in the second.

I don't see Cook as a first rnd pick and would NOT take him in the first 10 picks for sure. I could see him going in the 2nd possibly if he plays well down the stretch, shows he can light up a top defense and has a big bowl game against a tough opponent (and the rest of the draft process only improves him). But when i've seen him on tape so far, I haven't thought he looks like a first rnd pick...let alone a top 10 guy.

So unless you can live with one of the scenarios for Mariota, you don't take a QB in the top 10.

3. Itsthejoeker

Itsthejoeker Rookie

Isn't Dak Prescott supposed to be entering the draft if expected to go first round?

4. Wolverine

Wolverine Starter

Doesn't fit whiz scheme.

Mariota doesn't fit either. Doubt Whiz is willing to change.

Connor Cook is strongly considering staying another year.

Winston. Add point shaving rumors to the list of character concerns.

5. Itsthejoeker

Itsthejoeker Rookie

Any QB's who do fit the scheme?

6. Wolverine

Wolverine Starter

Cook if your looking at early round talent, if he declares. After that no one spectacular maybe Mannion and Greyson will get a look.

Whiz wants a typical drop back passer with a strong arm.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I thought Cook might be a nice option but he's not really stood out in any of the Spartans tougher games. He probably could benefit from staying in another season.

8. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Not a fan at all..2nd round maybe

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I doubt he goes in round 1. He's very short and while he can make some spectacular plays, he can also miss a lot of easy ones and tends to get banged up a lot (sound familiar?). And that's IF he enters. personally, I think he'll stay in school one more year.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I'm not a fan of cook, I was about a month ago bit he has been unspectacular lately. Looks just like Cousins, ironically.

I don't think our qb is in this class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar