Which TV

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Gunny, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OILERTATTOO

OILERTATTOO Starter

Size of screen and viewing distance are the keys for being able to see the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Here is a great chart........

[​IMG]

I am about 11' from my 63". If it were wall mounted, I could gain about another 2'. At my current viewing distance, getting a 72" 1080p set would be ideal, but not 720p. That was part of my original reasoning as to get a bigger display from my old 61". I only went up 2" instead of 11", but even 2"s makes a pretty big difference.

Of course I did. I noticed even more when I switched from progressive to a nice up-scaling player.

But if you really want to see what the fuss over 1080p is, you really have to put yourself in the proper viewing distances and have a pure 1080p source like Blu Ray or HD DVD.

At certain distances, it will all look the same anyway.

The best thing about 1080p is that it allows you to have a bigger display that can be placed closer to you.

As far as wobulation goes, Samsung says that their sets have 120 hz smooth picture or something like that. Now they are not actually processing the image at 120 hz but rather emulating 1080p @ 60 hz by wobulating the mirror @ 120hz. It happens so fast that it is nearly impossible for the human eye to tell the difference.

Now, new model TV's are actually implementing 120 hz to allow for smoother transitioning of fast moving pictures. It will also perform better for 1080p 24hz material as 120hz is evenly divisible by 24hz. 60hz is not and using normal 3:2 pulldown can create what many refer to as judder. I would assume that a 960X1080 mirror array would have to run @ 240hz to emulate 1080p @ 120hz. I am not sure of this.

Mitsubishi has a new model DLP coming out that will actually process @ 120hz. I wonder if the mirror array is actually 1920x1080.

120 hz is going to be the next big thing. After having seen the new Sharp 65" LCD running using 120hz, I was extremely impressed, though that set is going for $8,500 and is out of my budget.

Bottom line is for people to buy what looks good to them, and also supports their viewing habits and budget.

Later

2. OILERTATTOO

OILERTATTOO Starter

Yes, the broadcast standard will be 1080i and 720p for a loooooong time.

Later

3. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

You won't see 720p become the standard either.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

a simplified yet prudent addition to the cause

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

besides, if you're not going to watch Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in 1080p then there's really no point in having them

6. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Even with blu-ray you aren't seening the "best picture". It is still compressed.

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yet, you are seeing the best picture available to consumers

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

i found this in my email and thought I'd add it to the discussion
    it's from Toshiba re:the **HM196

However, his assessment was incorrect
    on a 60" screen or larger it is noticeable

9. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

This is bordering almost on "resolution snobbery". Its a ridiculous statement to make the claim that if you are not going to watch at 1080p that its not worth the investment. The change from even progressive scan upconversion of regular 480p DVD to 1080i [converted to 1080p] is clear. Much more clear than your perception of going from 1080i converted to 1080p to native 1080p input.

10. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Again, I do not believe you can make that a blanket statement. You may believe you see a difference, however I have not seen a difference that I could tell, and I have seen comparisons on displays ranging from 62" DLP to 110" FP. I am as anal as they come, and in normal viewing of HD material, be it OTA, Cable, DTV or Blu-Ray, I do not believe that 99% of consumers will see the difference enough to want to toss their 1080i sets out the window.

Its like making the blanket statement that because of RBE [rainbow effect] of the color wheels in DLPs, that they are inferior technology. We have never experience RBE with our DLP.

Or making the statement that LCOS is better thand DLP. I can point you to threads where you will find as many people who have not liked their LCOS sets just as I can find as many people that didn't like DLP.

I think you are very happy with your SXRD, and I am thrilled for you as a fellow HT enthusiast. Love to hear people loving their setup. But to read your posts would make one believe that a current 1080i set is already obsolete and inferior to native 1080p, despite that fact the the majority of HD viewing sources right now are presented in either 720p and 1080i and will be for a significant period of time.

Heck, they are just getting around to forcing everyone to adopt digital ready televisions. 1080i is even still in the enthusiast realm of HD tv technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar