Whisenhunt Fired, Mularkey Named Interim HC

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by MCMLXXXIII, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Who do you think makes the hire? An interim President/CEO? Ownership? Webster? You trust any or all the above to get this right?

#451 TitanJeff, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  2. LosingBy3

LosingBy3 Starter

Well mularkey got a bad deal in Jacksonville, he didn't do bad with the bills, really, even 5-11 is nearly what we're begging for here.

But he's kinda old school, hard knocks smash mouth football, he's rigid, but not whis rigid.

He could do this team a world of good on offense, especially in the running game. Helps marcus out too, and keeps him from getting destroyed every pass play.

I think he'll do the right thing, and boost the players' confidence all the while.

That will lead to production, and maybe we will see some actual damn football before the season is over.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

I'm going to tell you guys the truth. I just got back from Houston today, after "spending" Monday with Amy. Desperate times called for desperate measures.

• LOL LOL x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  4. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

So who is going to call the plays now?

5. UnknownHinson

UnknownHinson Starter

Jason Michael, OC. So basically, similar plays to Whiz's book. But a fresh perspective, probably a more loose feel to the offense. Seems like they are hinting that Whiz's whole "package players" thing won't be around anymore though, pretty much declared Andrews the workhorse today.

I assume that this also means that we will have a consistent 3 WRs getting on the field more often rather than switching often. KW is out for a bit so DGB Hunter Douglas.... That sounds like the worst.

#455 UnknownHinson, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  6. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

Well at least we will get to see Andrews get 20+ carries a week now!

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Why is a random new President better suited to pick a HC or GM than Underwood or the owners? In a lot of the other teams the president/CEO IS part of the ownership or close family (see Patriots).
    Again, the President position is a management position, not football position and there's no evidence to suggest that Underwood is better or worse than his eventual replacement.

You do realise that the President/CEO is going to be an accountant type, probably coming from a similar position in an entirely different industry, right?

8. TitanJeff

Not necessarily. Many do have a football background.

See my post/article about Jeff Diamond in the other thread.
    Let the hunt for Pres begin... | goTitans | a Tennessee Titans Fan Forum

But let's assume the person just has a professional sports/entertainment background and no direct football experience. That person still will be the face of ownership. They must work directly with the GM. He still is ultimately responsible for the franchise winning and following a mission statement.

The new President/CEO will be 100% into this team and will have resources/advisors available to help in the research and evaluation of candidates. That's just smart business.

Our controlling owner's involvement with the Titans is limited. That's why they want to make this hire. Though I am sure she will have to approve any choice for the next GM or HC, I don't think she has the time or desire to do all the background work needed that leads up to the hire.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I can't speak to the level of the owners involvement. Just because they don't speak to the media, doesn't mean they're not involved, it just means we don't know. And you still haven't explained why the new President will automatically do a better job than Underwood. I'm fairly sure he's a professional and will commit to the search 100% even if he is only holding the position temporary.

Would it be nice to have a permanent President in place soon? Absolutely! Should we hold off on the search for a new HC until he is hired? Hell no!

10. TitanJeff

Nothing is guaranteed but I would think a new President would be more invested as his goal is long-term success instead of just going back to his office in Houston and handling whatever the Adams family asked of Underwood before making him the interim.

And, personally, I want a fresh perspective involved in this decision—someone who has some success in building up something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar