Whitlock hits one on the head for once

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TBC_titan, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

LOL that article leaves me smiling. True story. Marriage is good for the right people.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Wow, it's an incredibly shallow view of relationships and marriage.

I would say that if all athletes think like that, then he's right and they really shouldn't get married. I just really hope that there aren't that many people out there who only care about "that new car smell." What a sad way to live when you have so much.

Getting married shouldn't ever be about "locking her down." Then again, most of the mentality of this article is from the point of view of a person who really couldn't ever justify marriage. If that's the case, then of course you shouldn't get married.

4. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Show me a man between 18 and 25 that doesn't want to go out and party and nail every woman that he can, and I'll show you 50 that DO.

Getting married should also never be about 'locking HIM down' either. But that's what quite a few girls think when they get married, and often change for the worse.* In fact, I'd like to meet a woman who HASN'T been planning/thinking about her wedding (i.e. on-an-agenda based) since she was a little girl.

*as Whitlocks statment so eloquently puts it:
    ^^ because after all, NO woman on earth ever has had that mentality :rolleyes:

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I take exception to the idea that insecurity compels athletes to marry. Maybe these guys want families. That's normal isn't it? The fault lies in their seemingly willingness to put their marriage at risk succumbing to the temptations the world offers them. I think it is unfair to fault the wives as Whitlock does. He basically states that athletes are driven into the arms of Dave & Buster's waitresses because of their apparent unwillingness to put out. Truth be known, odds are it's the athletes themselves that are not putting forth the effort to connect with their wives in a way that makes them want to "sleeze" as Whitlock terms it. Why should they though when it's so much easier to get with some hoochie in the v.i.p. room? In the end, Whitlock is right. They are better off not marrying until they are out of the game.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Is Jason Whitlock Married? If not, I don't think he has any right to talk about marriages until he's been in one. If so, I guess he knows more than I'll ever know about women :O

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Agree 100%

Pro athletes get things handed to them. And I bet once they get married, they might think that's the case with spouse noogie. I'm sure quite a few guys don't like jumping through hoops and making preparations that would rival a 747 pre-flight inspection just to get their wives to have sex with them, especially when a waitress, or 'dancer' is more than willing to give them some.
    And I think it is fair for Whitlock to fault the wives...to a certain extent. They knowingly marry one of these athletes knowing that they have a huge propensity to sleep around (not all, but I'm sure quite a few). If they marry him with that foreknowledge, and he cheats, the wives have no room to talk.

Exactly.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

This puts it right back on the players. What athletes need to understand is that a woman is to be cherished. It's ironic these guys work so hard at football but expect marriage to just happen. Marriage is work. It's like a whole second career. They get into it not understanding what is expected of them, like you said, they expect love, devotion, sex, meals... whatever a woman may do... they view it as an entitlement and not a reward for their own efforts. That's where the fault ultimately lies...
    Are you really suggesting that when a man says he will comfort, honor, keep her in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, faithfully keep to her alone, so long as he shall live the woman should know better because he has lots of money and the opprotunity to stray? You don't think ordinary women get all kinds of chances to stray? What it comes down to is if you are not man enough to be a husband, don't marry. That's what the problem is with some of these guys. They just don't have the stuff.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Anyone that just wants to go out and hook up as much as he can certainly shouldn't get married, and is incredibly stupid if he's even considering it.

Yes, there are women who have terrible ideas about what they think marriage is too. There are plenty of faults on both sides. It takes both sides with a common vision and a willingness to work at it to make a marriage work.

If you really haven't ever met a woman who hasn't been planning a wedding "as an agenda" for most of her life, then you haven't met that many women. There are far too many that think like that, but it just makes it worse if you expect them to think like that.

Both sides should have higher expectations, or not think about marriage at all.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Let me correct you on that. A woman is to be cherished IF SHE EARNS IT. It's nothing but the other side of the coin of sex. Most all self-respecting women won't sleep with a guy on the first date. Why? Because he has to EARN IT. Why is it that women make us earn sex but expect us to love and cherish them right off the bat. Double standards much (not directing that towards you personally)?
    /tangient

I agree with your statement verbatim. But it's the same reason I really don't want to get married. I feel that it's really way too much work for what you get in return, but that's just me. I personally place a high value on sex (particularly the frequency of it). And I hear too many tales from married men that the women just up and seem to not want to do it after marriage.*
    I'm sorry but if I'm not going to get laid whenever I want, I'm going to not get laid whenever I want by myself/on my own terms. Call me selfish. I don't care.
    That said, I'll NEVER mistreat or disrespect a woman, ever, and when I feel that the woman has earned my love and trust, I will treat her like a queen. But I won't put up with any bull:grrr::grrr::grrr::grrr: either.

If he is that type, most certainly. If you were a loan officer at a bank and someone has questionable credit (bad history) wouldn't you be a bit wary if you were to grant him a loan (a woman being wary if she marrys a man with a 'rough' history)?

As for the bold, YES. But here's the thing, an ordinary woman (even if she's just average looking) has probably 50 times more chance to stray than an 'ordinary' guy of similar status.

And we see athletes, celebrities, politicians, CEOs and tycoons do it all the freakin time. Like I've said, all that is is just letting your emotions run the show and giving into your primal urges.

Can't argue with you there. Both sides are equally at fault. But since I'm a dude and am not the type to look at another guys' hairy butt and find my soul mate, mens' behavior doesn't concern me as much as the womens'.
    But here is an article kinda describing what I'm talking about (the 'princess' mentality)..
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/07/15/tf.enough.princess.nonsense/index.html

I have. But the ratio of women who haven't planned it since childhood to the women that do are about 1 for every 20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar