Whiz on the Radio

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thaddeus43, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

104.5 just had Whiz on for an interview, I thought he had a few interesting things to say:

1st off, they talked about Mariota. Whiz mentioned that some of the things Oregon did in their offense was very similar to what the Titans do (esp the no huddle). Said they will probably focus on those aspects of the offense in the beginning, and kind of tailor the rest of the offense to Mariota.

Whiz talked a lot about how a run game can really help out a young QB, so that would be a focus as well (which is evident by selecting 2 RBs). He mentioned that we needed to be 'versatile' running the ball (Fowler?). Said a lot of the running would come from sub-packages.

Something very interesting when Whiz was talking about the running game, he brought up the Seattle Seahawks and mentioned how their run game was so effective because they had a running QB ... sounds like Whiz isn't against Mariota running like he seemed to be with Locker.

They talked about the OL ... sounded like LT and RG were locked down. He said they really like Lewan (no surprise) and Warmack needs to keep showing improvement like he did at the end of last year (I think we all agree on that) ... When talking about LG, C, RT he just talked about competition. So it sounds like all those spots could be up for grabs right now.

Said he is excited for DGB to come in and compete, and that should (he hopes) light a fire under Hunter. Said he has talked with Hunter several times before and after the draft about what he needs to do next season.

He sounded very happy about the moves on D in FA, and how that allowed us to attack the O in the draft.

• High Five High Five x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

I heard it also. As long as they don't have designed plays for him to specifically run the ball. That stuff don't work in the NFL or it doesn't last long. When he said running QB, hope he meant someone that could get out of pressure situations when the pocket collapses and make a play with his feet to pick up 5+ yards.

Plays with him rolling out of the pocket will be interesting. He better learn to either slide or run out of bounds when needed. Please don't try to be 'He-Man' Locker and attempt to run someone over. I understand making a play, but be smart about it. That's what cost Locker some of his injuries.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I really like the fact that they beefed up the run game...That makes a HUGE difference if they stick to it, and will help sustain drives and energize the defense. This is smart if he follows through with all of these points. I am still nervous a bit about the RT position and Run D, but we shall see.

4. RTH

RTH Meh...

Confirms my suspicion at the time. He gave Locker a shot... but really had nothing to lose. Didn't change his offense to fit Jake because he, frankly, didn't really want him. Now he "appears" to be willing to adjust his offense for Mariota.

Fine with me.

• High Five High Five x 5
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Rudad

Rudad Starter

Mariota is His guy. He will do what he can to be successful . Running game last year was just awful. That's why we had so many 3 and outs. Like the changes .

6. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

If the run game improves, the whole team improves. Both sides of the ball will benefit. 3 and outs kept the D on the field WAY too much last season. Even if they can't score a ton of points, the O needs to be on the field sustaining drives to help keep the D rested and ready to roll.

There were several games last year that the game could have been won or kept close if it weren't for a worn out defense and an offense that went 3 and out when they had opportunities to put the game away.

That being said, the run game was horrible last year, so there is a lot of room for improvement. Let's hope it improves a lot.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Let's hope so. But also didn't do much to help out Mett with all the big drops behind a gimpy OL that eventually ended his season.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I like the comparison to Seattle's team and how their mobile QB helped their running game. I think he should use Mariota in the exact same way as Seattle uses Wilson.

9. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

I expect the running game to get a lot better as well. I also expect teams to bring 9 players on every play to sack our new toy.

• LOL LOL x 1
  10. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think you will see us use some similar run concepts as the Seahawks. The Seahawks use the threat of Wilson running to help keep the D honest and prevent the backside from just immediately collapsing down the LOS on run plays. They do run several designed runs for Wilson each game and that keeps defenses honest. They also design boot legs with the pass being the 1st option, but if not open Wilson runs it out of bounds for a 5-10 yd gain. The do run the read option some, but that is not the true foundation of the Hawks run game.

My guess is that is what we will see from the Titans.

It is a copy cat league...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar