Who did best with coaching changes? (spoiler: Titans lost)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alex1939, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think KA IV has to be 51% but just the majority. From what I'm understanding, the issue is AAS is 33.3% as is her sister. Therefore, no majority owner and no ONE person the NFL needs to be accountable.

The other factor is this trust and I have no idea how that complicates things. My limited knowledge of a trust is that they can be set up in a variety of ways and may or may not be revocable.

If Bud set up the trust making it irrevocable, then his daughters/grandkids don't have the power to sell part of the team to each other. Or, it could mean none have the resources to buy even 1% from the other. And then there is the tax hit on the gains involved.

The sisters and other grandkids might be willing to sell but KA IV unwilling to give up his 11% so he can be controlling owner. There's just a lot we don't know about right now.

I don't know how much the family's business is oil but that might play a big role in all this as well.

I'm hoping more on this is released soon.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Franchise QBs in their prime rarely walk away from the team that drafted them. But I wouldn't rule it out in this case either. If he experiences 4 straight years of misery and incompetence in Tennessee I wouldn't really blame him for walking.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

He'd be franchised for a year if he's playing well.

If he looks to be the real deal after three seasons, I expect the Titans will offer him a huge, long-term deal.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

If that were the case would the league be able to force a sale? It would seem that if there were this type of stalemate it would be within the league's right to do so. If there are clearly defined rules regarding ownership structure and the Adams family is unable to comply in a timely fashion, for whatever reason, then it would make sense to me. Of course I'm sure this would result in a long and ugly legal dispute. But league rules are league rules.

This whole thing is just so messy and so purely "Titans". It's honestly embarrassing. I wonder if the league has any other ammo at their disposal besides just the legal route. E.G. could the league go as far as to disqualify the Titans if the ownership is not structured in a way that complies with official league rules?

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yeah that's true. Even still, money isn't everything to everyone. If he really hates it here and feels it's a futile situation he could still be set for life by waiting it out and then signing with a team that actually knows what the hell they are doing. Mariota seems like a smart guy, and even more so a nice guy. I don't expect to ever hear him saying anything bad about the organization. But that doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have those feelings behind closed doors.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

If its an irrevocable trust, he may have also stipulated no sale is possible unless there is demonstrated financial loss.

I agree with your take that there simple needs to be an official owner- CEO that speaks for the other shareholders. TS had the designation CEO (IIRC). I haven't heard AAS referred to as such. It may be her sister, or she herself didn't want that to happen and there wasn't a 51% stock holder vote available to make it happen. This may be why the NFL is threatened by the structure.

I'm certain the NFL would favor a 51% ownership by somebody so there would be no threat of delayed activities requiring ownership votes.

The workings of this ownership structure are being kept quiet for some reason. I have a sinking feeling you've hit on it with the irrevocable trust requiring demonstrated financial losses before stock can be sold. Irrevocable trusts are often set up that whoever challenges the trust and loses that challenge also lose their interest. It's a technique used by the now deceased to dissuade heirs from fighting with each over the estate.

7. rekirts

rekirts Starter

We would franchise him for 3 years minimum, the +20% pay be damned. We've been searching for our franchise QB for 15 years... won't let him go.

He's going to have to drag the Titans kicking and screaming to success though.

8. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

9. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

eh. Can't completely rule out the thought that maybe another HC would want his own guy after mariota gettin multiple coaching staffs fired

• LOL LOL x 1
  10. SuperMariota

SuperMariota Starter

If Jeff Fisher doesn't make it, I'm pretty sure Pete Carroll will be looked at although he is in a great situation with Seattle.

The coaching situation here is disgusting and I don't really feel like addressing it much further. Just a flat out Mickey Mouse organization. The Owners, President, General Manager (for agreeing to take job under specific conditions)Coach etc.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar