Who do you take first pick if you are the GM?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by KTOWN TITAN, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

I do think that it is important to have a least one guy who can "make a play". We don't have a consistent playmaker who can consistently beat his defender. I agree that you might not get that in the draft, especially with where we are drafting--drafting WRs is such a crapshoot-and that is probably why the Pats don't do it.

I would trade for an elite WR-giving up the #1 pick if needed, and then draft guys on both lines and let them povide depth and develop.

2. terrykalaka

terrykalaka Camp Fodder

Just because the pats did or didn't do something doesn't me we should or shouldn't do the same thing or something different. Just because some things haven't worked out in the past doesn't mean that it won't in the future. We should take a WR in the first round because it is our biggest need. It hasn't been our biggest need recently so we haven't picked one in the first round. How many current players in the league who are top receivers were picked in the first round?? I bet there is probably a few, so why not take the chance. Every position is as much of a crapshoot as the rest, it's just that qb's wr's and rb's are in the spotlight more and it's easy to see when they do or don't do well. We need a receiver that can do a better job of getting open and can actually hang onto the ball, so why not go for it in the first round if we can get anyone via free agency and or trade?? If a first round player is considered to be the BEST wr we could get, then we need to go for it.

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

The Pats have put more value into WR's early than we have.

There's not much of a point with Bennett. You find gems every once in awhile. You think you're more likely to find that gem vs drafting one high? Besides, Drew was not a #1 anyway. We need better than what we've got or had last year.

The only assumption I'm making is the obvious one....that there's a better chance of getting a stud the higher you draft. We've rarely tried it. We've usually found what you find in mid rounds, average WR's. We need a player above avg.

Your "facts" are as comical as your "stats" :lol:

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Those commical stats are simply the facts that since the pats current management and coaching staff has been running things they NEVER drafted a WR in the first rd and have had their success completely and absolutely outside of any higher draft choice at that position.

They lost all their better WRs to cap issues(givens-patton-branch) choosing instead to keep as much of their defense and o-line intact rather than offer a long term deal to those guys.

I'm tired of the spin machine and the BS. Just admit you were wrong and shut the hell up..

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

You're tired of the spin machine. Irony, it's great ain't it?

This is going to be as simple as it gets (although I doubt it's really been over your head so far, you just rather choose to be an *** when you post).

I never said the Pats have been taking WR's in the 1st round. You were making the point about losing teams taking 1st round WR's. I simply made the opposing view of winning teams that draft well and put WR's high on their draft priority list. The Colts are obvious. The Pats, again, I never said 1st round, I said 3 2nd rounders in 6 years. That's more high picks than we've invested in WR's. So, maybe we need to find better talent higher instead of settling once again for average talent in the mid rounds.

There's no spin from me. I won't ask if you've finally "got it", because you don't want to get it. You'd rather spin it yourself and try and make me look bad. That's too bad for you.

6. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

Hey Roll Tide! You shut the hell up cock sneeze and happy freaking New Year! Yes the Pats don't draft WRs high often, but to the Titans? Yes the Pats let their best WRs go because of cap room. Then they went out and got one of the best in the league in Moss along with two that are better than what we got in Welker and Stallworth. Then they went undefeated. We lost our two best WRs and signed Justin Gage and Mike Williams. We also threw away three draft picks(mid and late round) on Davis, Williams and Filani. I guess those are "stats" or "facts" we can't pick a WR in the late and mid rounds. That is not the case by the way. With alot of talent at WR coming out this year the Titans will have an excellent chance to grab a playmaker in the first round. There might also be a couple late round gems, but the Titans have great chance of grabbing one early. Why not take advantage and pick up a player that could really help our offense? Yes we need help in other areas and could grab someth.....wait what am I doing? You are ridiculous. Why does anybody even respond to you? You never make valid points and your opinions are trash. Hey I got a New Years resolution for you Alabama guy. Don't be a dick. I'm sure you will break that one faster than a fat chick buying a gym membership today. We need help at WR and have a good chance of grabbing one this year early in the draft. Pulling stats from past teams drafts and bla bla bla can not predict what we should do this year. It is up to the scouting department and the GM to make the right pick. It is a gamble but with the amount of talent at WR coming out this year, we have a better chance of grabbing a great one. Now have a blessed and healthy 2008. I'm sure this will be a hot topic right up to draft day.

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Wow guys, chill out. Whether or not RollTide is an ******* or not has little to do with his points, which are almost always supported by stats and historical evidence, for whatever those might be worth. In any case, taking receivers in the first round of the draft has proven to not be the breakfast of champions in the past. But hey, if the best player on the board is a receiver, then take him. We have this discussion every year. The bad track record of first-round receivers says more about scouting departments and less about the merit involved.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What does that mean half the WRs drafted that high won't be as good as the guys we got.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Recent draft history WRs 2000-2005

Criteria, 1st 5 Wrs drafted on or after pick 25 in each draft..

**=1000+ yards this year......*=800+ yards this season..

Roddy white**
    reggie brown
    mark bradley
    roscoe parrish
    Terrance murphy

Micheal jenkins
    Rashun woods
    Devery henderson
    darius watts
    keary colbert

Tyler jacobs
    Bethel johnson
    Anquan boldin*
    tyrone calico
    Kelly washington

Kareem jabar gaffney
    Josh reed
    tim carter
    andre davis
    reche caldwell

freddie mitchell
    reggie wayne**
    quincy morgan
    chad johnson**
    robert ferguson

R jay soward
    Dennis northcutt
    todd pinkston
    jerry porter
    run dugan

I'm counting 4 guys of the 30 drafted that would honestly be better than what we have. Wayne, johnson, boldin and white. One andre davis is a monster return man but not for the team that drafted him. The browns drafted davis 15th in the second but he is with houston now.

You like those odds?

10. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

Dude its hit and miss. We all know how many WRs get taken every year. Many end up average and no better than what the Titans got already. There are many places the Titans could go with this pick, but this WR class is gonna be deep. Will all of them be stars? No. Will all of them even be in the league a couple years from now? Probably not. Its is a big risk and I hope they make the right choice. Bringing up stats and pulling numbers from the past isn't going to help. Drafting WRs is tricky. We all know it. We just gotta hope they make the right choice. As for me I hope they go WR with the first or second pick. Also no I don't like those odds. Those odds suck but sometimes you gotta take a shot. Better yet why don't we just pick up a proven WR through FA or trade then we can take care of other positions in the draft. Then we could all be happy!:beer2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar