Who is better? Young, Leinart, or Cutler

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Spinnaker, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Can't argue logically with that, but what evidence has there been to suggest that Young has greater bust potential than Leinart or Cutler. It's all speculative- I really don't have any information to base an opinion on other than past performance. Young's Wonderlic score doesn't bother me- there has actually been a good study that suggested these scores do NOT correlate to NFL passing efficiency or success.

I agree that Cutler thus far appears to have skills that would comprise a better total NFL QB than Leinart and that he would be ready to play earlier than Young. However, I think Young has better play-making potential in the NFL. I believe this will translate to more wins.

I'd like to see the Titans draft Young if he's there, if not, then Cutler. I'm not a Leinart fan so I'd like to see them trade the pick if Young or Cutler are gone and pick up D-Brick, Hawk, Lendale White and get Omar Jacobs in the 2nd.

2. Brian

Brian Big Fan

All three guys have talent, and none of them is going to win a Superbowl on his own. IMO "playmaking potential" translates into highlights, not wins necessarily. For me, poise and intelligence translates into consistant winning.

3. Riverman

Agreed. And again, short of each of these players past record, knowing who will be the best is all speculation. Vince demonstrated sound judgement and exceptional skills at Texas.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

wow. I like Young too but I wouldn't say that.

5. Riverman

You're right. I should say "has the MOST franchise potential."

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Problem is he also has the most bust potential

7. Riverman

Everyone keeps saying this on speculation. How so? The only points I've heard based on something factual is 1) his Wonderlic score and 2) his throwing motion.

I refute the Wonderlic score- I've seen data that indicates it has no predictive value for NFL passing efficiency or success. His college passing stats are actually quite good. Throwing style translating to NFL is speculation and I believe this could be coached if need be.

I agree with others that he will take 2 years to develop as a "complete" NFL QB (passing/running) but I believe he would make as immediate impact as Cutler or Leinart in regards to winning games.

I believe alot of the negativity surrounding Young is as much media hype as the positivity surrounding Cutler and Leinart.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I don't think Young will be a bust but when you compare his chances against more prototypical NFL passers he does have a slightly higher probability IMO. Heck any of these guys could bust. Leinart could be the next Jason White, so could Cutler and Young could be playing WR in a few years.
    If you agree it will take Young two years to develop then right there you have a serious situation. What if he doesn't develop? The guy is going to get paid mega bucks to ride the pine "developing" for half of his rookie contract.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Add to that he didn't run a pro-style offence, took a whole lot more snaps from the shotgun and the questions about his ability to read defensive schemes.

10. Riverman

I think Young could be an immediate impact player as QB, because of his ability (and threat) to run as a "check-down" option. I think it will take him 2 years to "master" a pro-style offense and his ability to recognize defenses and audible at the line. I believe he has the most physical talent of the 3 which will allow him to adjust to the speed of the game without difficulty.

Having said all that, I certainly won't be disappointed if we go with Cutler instead. I just don't feel good about passing on a player with surreal natural (physical) talent like Young.

I guess it boils down to what type of QB do I want for the Titans. Honestly, I want the one who will contribute the most to more checks in the win column.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar