Who makes the 53 man roster?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Clark, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Preston was stealing snaps last year. What exactly you think that means??

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

They were checking him out. Not much more.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Here are my guesses:

-- Offense --
    QB: Locker/Fitzpatrick/Smith
    HB: Johnson/Greene/Reynard
    FB: N/A
    WR: Britt/Wright/Washington/Hunter/Williams/Preston
    TE: Walker/Stevens/Thompson/Doyle
    OT: Roos/Stewert/Otto/Richardson
    OG: LeVitre/Warmack/Turner/Stingily
    OC: Velasco/Schwenkie

Total: 26

Breakdown:
    QB: 3 – Smith isn't going anywhere and I like having 3 QB's on the roster. Next year Smith is gone and we will bring in a new guy.
    HB: 3 – I have Johnson and Greene too split the carries and Reynard as our KR/PR guy. I don't think we will carry 4 HB. I also don't think that Quinn Johnson makes the roster as both Walker and Stevans play FB as well as TE.
    TE: 4 – Doyle has been impressive enough IMO to warrant a roster spot and Stevens' and Walker's versatility make that possible.
    WR: 6 – I always thought that our roster was Washington or Walter and with Walter on the PUP list this season I see no reason to keep him around. Preston was impressive in the last part of the season and showed good hands and route running to go along with his 6'5 frame. I think he could be a good 4th receiver some day and with Williams, Britt, and Washington all being possible losses next offseason we need to keep around a guy like him.
    OL: 10 – After last years mess at OL I couldn't keep less then a complete backup OL unit. The only surprise is Stingily over Spencer which is mostly due to upside as Stingily is a lot more athletic and plays OC/OG/RT.

-- Defense --
    DE: Morgan/Big Po/Wimbley/Edwards/Klug
    DT: Casey/Hill/Martin/Charles
    LB: Brown/Fukou/Ayers/McCarthy/Gooden/Shaw
    CB: McCourty/Verner/Sensabaugh/Wreh-Wilson/Campbell
    FS: Griffin/Wilson
    SS: Pollard/Stafford

Total: 24

Breakdown
    DE: 5 – Pretty straight forward with Klug rounding out the group as a swing DE/DT. I still think we could use more depth here but Ayers will most likely be putting his hand down on passing downs.
    DT: 4 – I have Charles taking our last DT spot because he has had a great camp. I don't think Mookie Johnson makes the cut as Charles has more upside. Klug acts as a swing DL man when he needs to.
    LB: 6 – The only question in the first 5 spots on the depth chart is whether McCarthy or Fukou starts at ILB. The 6th spot is competition between Shaw, Bailey, Soloman, Wort, and Willard. I gave it to Shaw but it is really up in the air.
    CB: 5 – This is IMO our deepest position group on defense outside of DT. We have 6 guys that can make the 53 man roster but only 5 spots. Wooten is the odd man out as I just don't think he is a better option then Campbell as our 5th CB in terms of ability or upside.
    Saf: 4 – Griffin, Pollard and Wilson are locks so it comes down to Stafford or Martin. Martin hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy so I am giving Stafford the last spot

-- ST --
    K: Bironas
    P: Kern
    LS: Brinkley

Total: 3

Breakdown: Nothing to see here.

-- Practice Squad --
    Scott Soloman, LB/DE
    Oscar Johnson, OT
    Colin Mooney, FB/HB
    Tom Wort, LB
    Jonathan Willard, LB
    Khalid Wooten, CB
    Maikon Bonani, K
    Stefphon Jefferson, HB

4. The Hammer

Do you think if there is a decent young QB cut we might go after him as the number 3 if Rusty has a bad camp?

5. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Maybe but Smith knows the system better then an outsider would; I don't like picking up QB's off the street so late in the preseason.

If we were going to upgrade our 3rd guy we would have done it already.

6. Clark

Pretty sure we already cut Jefferson no?

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Boy you need to stop smoking, Preston out shinned Damian Williams??? What? When?

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Clark

Dwill is consistently under achieves. You think it's a random occurrence that a kid from the practice squad came up and got snaps? To me that is either of two reasons, confidence in Preston, or no confidence in the number 4 guy. Williams.

9. The Hammer

Williams is a decent receiver. And, in all honesty, he has produced a lot more than Derrick Mason did in his first three years--outside of special teams. It would be a mistake to cut him. Especially given the fact he is not making much money.

10. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

I think most people are saying to just lose the third guy all together.

If we lose Locker and Fitzpatrick, we are screwed anyway, so we could sign some scrub QB free agent to finish the season.

Or just put Bironas in there and go Downey for Clowney, if you catch my drift.

Lets hope it doesn't come to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar