Who wants to grade the 03 draft?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bobo, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

It's going to be hard for Woolfolk to become a starting cornerback again for any reason other than injury to a starter, IMO. It could happen, but looks less likely as time goes on. (In his defense, he was the rawest CB in the draft, even if he was the third-ranked CB on the board - so maybe his best is ahead of him. For now, he's starting nickleback, and that may only be until Fuller returns to challenge him for the position.

Grade: C-/D+ (almost made this grade worse, but at least he's been playing this year, but it could just as easily be D+, since he was our first pick and should be starting no question).

Calico - too hurt to count; still has a year to prove it's not over with him. Not so worried about his knees, anymore, now that he's reminded us time and time again it's his hands that gave us fits to begin with.

Grade D

Brown - really not bad at all. Third round RB who has started for two years behind a line with some issues. Larry Johnson and Willis McGahee were the only 1st rd RBs taken that year. No RBs went in round two. Musa Smith went to Baltimore in round three, we took Brown and the Raiders took Fargas near the end of the round. Artose Pinner was the first day two back selected. Domanick Davis, Onterrio Smith, Quentin Griffith, Lee Suggs and LaBrandon Toefield all went in round four. Pretty good value for Brown all things considered. Only Davis has been more productive, of those taken after Brown. Beyond the 4th, only 3 other RBs were selected, none before the 6th round. I'll say whether it's here or elsewhere, Brown's best football is ahead of him.

Grade B-/C+

Rien Long - Outland Trophy winner in the 4th round? Developing alright. Good pass rushing DT. Not terrible, not outstanding. Not sucking either, and a definite value pick.

Grade B

Donnie Nickey - Could have done better, surely. Wonder if we had taken LeJeune, who went in the 6th to the Eagles, could he have played better. I just think this was a missed pick, though he's done okay on special teams, but won't be amounting to a starting safety. Ever.

Grade D+

Todd Williams - As someone said, great story. Sorry Todd.

Grade D-

I give it a C-/D+ sort of grade so far. D+ if you consider Woolfolk and Calico don't really contribute much.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

i remember throwing my cell phone across the floor while I was at work on Nashville Star. I was watching the draft results on my phone when KC picked Larry Johnson 1 pick in front of us.

I really wanted LJ and kept saying "KC doesn't need a RB like LJ, they have Priest" - therefore I was p-o'd when they made the pick

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Domanick Davis seems to be the RB deal of that draft

he's outperformed every RB from that class so far

pretty good for a RB whom LSU wanted to convert to safety

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

every RB except Grand Mama and McGahee. DD has had an extra year to play, but they have pretty much surpassed him by now, in terms of what level they're playing at, IMO.

But yeah, DD in the 4th - RB steal of the draft.

5. GLinks, Your posts are very respectable and acceptably honest like your Avatar......WU

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

WU, I appreciate that. That comment makes for a good day. Thank you.

7. I think Woolfolk is a bust, he canĀ“t cover anybody in this league, and for Ty let's hope next year he can get over the injuries and see what if he is the vertical threat that we are looking for in a WR.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

As Gunny said on an earlier post today, Woolfolk will still challenge Hill in camp. Imagine, if Andre returns with his 4.4 speed and can hold down the outside. Regardless of how disappointed we may be in a 1st round draft pick so far, you don't give up on him yet, especially since he was a converted WR and raw at the position when we took him. In all likelihood, Pacman and Reynaldo have been playing corner a lot longer than Andre. I'm not making excuses for past performance, but do think he can still live up to his potential. I don't think the Titans would let him go until his contract is up, and myself will keep the "bust" tag on hold until that happens.

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I don't know about Pac and Hill playing corner longer. Andre is in his third year in the league and played 2 years of corner in college =5yrs(3 professional means big advantage), and Pac and Hill played 3 years of college ball(Hill's majority[2] was Juco) and this year = 4 yrs. I don't buy into the argument, either you can cover or you can't, he has proven that he can't, not to mention stay healthy. Look at the Patriots who just keep plugging in guys, coaching does have something to do with it, but at this point, his best bet will be to go somewhere else where they can utilize him properly(Titan coaches suck at this, see Keith Bulluck). Anyways, he'll be here as long as his contract is, we won't let him go. but he at this point is a bust, unfortunately.

10. You know his biggest criticisms came covering Marvin Harrison and Tory Holt. Nobody can cover them, even 5-10 year vets headed for Canton. He blanketed Fitzgerald until he got hurt. Two of his PDs came in that game and Fitz had a total of 8 yards receiving vs Andre. He caught his big catches after Andre got hurt. Fitz is a quality dangerous receiver. You talk as if every time he covers someone and the ball is thrown that way he is burned. That is so untrue. Yau also talk as if Pac and Hill make all their plays. They have been burned up just as much and actually more, but it is their first year. All the blowouts happened in the latter half of the year and many of the TDs were vs our starting corners. They made some plays also, don't get me wrong, but like they were exploited on others. Point is, playing corner in this league, face it, you will get beat occasionally. Bottom line. Come on JWill, you cannot tell me that you did not notice improvement in his play over the second half of the season. It is amazing so many others did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar