Who's ready for an aggressive D?!?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 2toneblue77, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nine

Nine Starter

I'll be the first to admit, I'm ever the optimistic homer...sometimes even I have trouble buying my own BS. But here's the way I look at it:

Every year, two or three teams have an amazing reversal of fortune, and flip a 4-12 record over to 12-4, or at least 10-6. This year, we saw the Bears, Redskins, and Bucs go from being doormats to playoff teams. In 2004, it was the Chargers and Falcons.

Nobody ever predicts the resurgence of these teams; only in hindsight do the pundits and prognosticators realize that these teams were on the cusp of excellence, needing just a few last pieces to fall into place. The Titans could very easily fall into this category.

Honestly, two players could make all the difference in the world for our defense. Add one ball-hawking safety and one solid linebacker into the mix, and we could very easily see a powerful and potentially dominating defense once again. (This, of course, assumes that our young D-line and corners show the kind of progress normally associated with players at their level of experience.) Those two areas were essentially the downfall of the defense this year....fill those holes, and you're probably looking at turning three or four of this year's losses into wins. (Oakland, Jax, Seattle, Cleveland, Cincy...all featured meltdowns by our defense, especially late in the game.).

On offense, one or two changes along the O-line could completely revitalize the entire unit. I mean, the truth is, the O-line was absolutely putrid in '05...yet the offense somehow ended up in the middle of the pack, statistically speaking. Obviously, stats don't tell the whole story, but to get that kind of production with such lousy blocking is quite a feat. Had our O-line even been just average, I think we would have seen at least three of four more wins. (Arizona, Cleveland, St. Louis, Cincy, Miami...all featured very specific breakdowns by the offense...and we went all year long without a running game.)

Put them all together, and you're looking at another 6-8 wins, which would land the Titans somewhere between 10-6 and 12-4. And the FO has acknowledged the shortcomings in each of these areas, and has made it clear that these positions will be addressed this offseason. (They've also mentioned getting a veteran WR and a veteran CB...both of which would only help to solidify the team.)

Like I said, I'm hopelessly optimistic...but in spite of the shortcomings in a number of areas, I truly believe that this team is not that far from being a contender once again.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's a good attitude to have. I'm trying to feel the same way.

I figure the Chow offense will be adjusted. It'll be much more effective the second year with everyone having a year of work with it. The Titans need that WR threat whether it be someone on the roster or someone they bring in. The running game must be more effective and the potential is there.

I think we'll see a lot of improvement in the secondary and from the defensive line. If the Titans can get more production from LB and S, we'll have a dramatic improvement on defense.

A couple of free agents, improvement from the first and second-year guys and a bit of luck can turn the ship around in a hurry.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

That's inspiring. :cry:

(really, it is)

4. #1TitansFan

#1TitansFan Camp Fodder

I think by getting some veterans from free agency will add some leadership and put some fire into the D. Also, drafting good defensive players will allow for depth. Add both of them together and it may not be too hard to turn a 4-12 season into 12-4. Other teams have done it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar