Who's the "safe" pick of the Top 5 ?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Puck, Jan 25, 2006.

?
  1. Reggie Bush

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Matt Leinart

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Vince Young

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  5. A.J. Hawk

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Look this business is all about taking chances and when it comes to the draft there's never a "safe" pick. KVB is the perfect example, they took alittle risk and were rewarded with a Pro-Bowl DE. It doesn't always work out, but hey that's the way the cookie crumbles. Honestly I think if we took D'Brick we will be kicking ourselves in 2-3 years. Sure we may have a LT, but what about QB? Would suck if Leinhart or Young are tearing up the league while we have Billy or some poor excuse of a QB playing, screwing us over. In that case, the protection is useless. I think if you have the chance to get a franchise QB, you have to take it. If McNair was in his 5th or 6th season, I'd be all for drafting D'Brick, but Mac's no spring chicken. Also, there's no one later on who's worth it. Whitehurst, Hackney, Jacobs....no thanks. Hackney's a midget and erratic, Jacobs has just as many question marks as Vince and Whitehurst has injury/consistency problems.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I would say that says alot considering Fisher has seen quite a few OTs in his career. Brick is also the safest pick by far. The bottom line is games are won in the trenches and particularly on the OL. You can have the greatest skill position guys in the league but if you can't protect your QB and establish the run you will never be more than an average or less team.
    I wasn't a big fan of picking Brick at first because there were a number of solid OTs in this draft and I had first assumed the difference in talent between Brick and the others might not be enough to justify such an early pick. However, it is becoming more and more apparent that this guy is a freak of nature and one of those guys that only comes around one time per decade. To say his name in the same breath as the top three or so OTs in the NFL right now is really saying something.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think Brick is only considered the "safest" pick because his transition from the college to pro levels is much less than it is for a QB. I think either of the QBs or Bush have the potential to have a much bigger impact on the teams who draft them than Brick will on the team who drafts him.

4. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Young is a risk as most running QB's are.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If Young or Leinart (I doubt we get Bush) become great QBs you would be right. If they are only average or slightly better than average NFL ability the LT has the better impact. An average QB behind a great OL will put up as good or better numbers than a better QB without protection. Ask David Carr. He was a guy who was drafted to be a big "impact" on his team and certainly was in the same category as Young or Leinart when he was drafted. There is a fairly long list of potential big impact QBs who never amounted to anything in the NFL and who were not even considered average. For the QB to actually be a big impact player they would have to be well above average IMO and there is a big risk they can be so. Brick is as close to a sure thing as there will ever be in the draft. And it goes well beyond his physical ability. The guy has great intangibles as well.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

you can take a great QB talent, throw him behind a crumbling line, and watch him take a beating with inadequate time to throw

relegating him to 'average' status

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

how is KVB a "perfect" example ?

he had 4 sacks in 4 years with Arizona. 3.5 of those came in '02
    3 of those years he had 11 tackles or less and only half a sack

in Cardinal's eyes, KVB is the perfect example of a 'bust'

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I fully agree. But how many QBs have come out of college with the credentials of Young and Leinart? I would think these two are as close to a sure thing at QB as you can get.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A no brainer..

QBs and RBs are always the higher risk for a total bust out. You rarely see a top OT who isn't at least a decent starter and hawk looks like money. Bush is the closest player to a sure thing at RB we have seen since barry sanders.

1. Ferguson

2. Hawk

3. Bush

4. Lienart

5. Young

On the other side of the coin you can ask which of the top prospects have the most potential to blow up the league and totally dominate.

1. Young

2. Bush

3. Lienart

4. hawk

5. ferguson

Of course a top OT isn't an impact player he is there to keep others from making an impact, upside the QBs head! With bulluck we have seen that even a top OLB can't make a defense decent. Based on what we saw in the rose bowl vince young can be the kind of player that will put an entire team on his back and win.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff...

I fully agree. But how many QBs have come out of college with the credentials of Young and Leinart? I would think these two are as close to a sure thing at QB as you can get.
    -----------------------------------

Actually not true jeff. Both players have some issues with arm strength. Issues that carson palmer and david carr did not have. Certainly manning didn't have any concerns there either. In the case of lienart you have a guy who did benefit from great talent around him. Awesome talent in bush. In the case of young you have a guy who will have to adjust to a different defense than what he played IN college. I'm not saying they are not great prospects worthy of our 3rd pick but they are probably not equal on paper anyway to carson palmer and some others.

I would rate young similar as a prospect to mcnabb coming out of syracuse in 1999. The eagles thought enough of mcnabb to take him 2nd that year. Mcnabb was a great prospect but maybe not a can't miss prospect. Certainly the eagles are pleased they took a chance on him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar