Who's the Titans Starting Runningback?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Go outside and run around the block 10 times. Think you could do a lap faster if you only had to do 5-6 and could catch your breath in-between?

Now tell the neighborhood kids to throw rocks at you as you run by.

Think your ability to dodge those rocks would improve the fewer times you ran it?

I just did this and can guarantee the fewer times you run it, the faster the time with less bruises. ;)

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I don't agree with you Jeff. If you run the block 10 times every day, you will soon realize that you can run 20 blocks every day at the same speed you ran your first 5 blocks, and soon you won't worry about rocks hitting you because frankly, you been hit by so many of them they become irrelevant. Dodging them is no longer a concern, they bounce off you. Your new thick skin and muscles may even protect you from getting bruised.

The Drill where they throw stuff at the qb is a good example. Eventually the qb gets used to being hit while throwing. It doesn't bother them anymore. A marathoner builds up his speed and endurance by running 10 blocks at a time so that he can run 20 the next time even faster than before.

While I get your point, it doesn't make biological sense to me. I believe great althletes push themselves. They improve. Like Phelps in swimming. After finishing 2nd in 84, he swam more laps harder. He got faster. He wins gold this year. You gotta push yourself to carry the ball the 20x so you can adapt. You won't get there by running the ball 10X every year. You may be fresher, I will agree with that, but have you improved.

Everyone has a different approach. Some people believe that physical work breaks you down. I think it makes you stronger. Look, the guy who wrote the book on running dies because of running, but a lot of runners are much healthier because of it. It's just how you want to look at it. I think you got to push yourself with repetition.

3. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Phi said:
    Wow! Phelps was swimming while he was still in the womb. Actually, he wasn't born until June of 85, so he wasn't even conceived yet. Amazing! He's just that good.

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

That's crap. You mean to tell me that Brian Westbrook and LT are wasting their talent when they catch a football and run with it? CJ was brought here as a RB, yes. But any player on offense (excluding linemen and some TE's) are brought in to score points, plain and simple. The offenses job is to score points. Vince was brought in as a QB, but he can score points by running. That is not wasting what he was brought in to do. If CJ can score points by catching then that makes him more of a threat, not 'wasted' touches....

5. Young54

Young54 Starter

Damn… you must be a rare physical specimen. I think you should try out for the team. Then you can condition yourself to get 100 carries a game and defenders will just bounce off of you because you will be used to it. Pitchers should also start and complete 5 games in a row, that way they will be “used” to it and teams wont need to waste money on relievers.

Give me a break. What your saying is true, athletes need to push themselves to improve but people have limits. Sharing carries allows the runners to have fresh legs and conserve their energy for the 4th quarter. No one, absolutely no one, can finish the 5th mile of a race at the same time as the 1st mile. No matter how much conditioning they do.

You can’t use Phelps as an example. He is a physical beast! People like that are rare. In fact, he’s the rarest. He is about to do something no one has EVER done. He’s on track to not just break the record, but he’s going to shatter it. But you know what, even Phelps needs to pace himself. No matter how much he pushes himself, he can’t win a race by swimming his fastest the whole time. He paces himself at the beginning of race, he conserves his energy, so at the end he can turn it up.

Anyway, it is just 1 preseason game, and White is the starter. Take away the 66 yard run and Johnson was 5 for 11. Not very impressive. On the other hand, White was more consistent going 6 for 33. That’s a 5.5 ypc. I will take that all season long. Don’t forget, Johnson was going up against back ups. We need way more time to see what he is fully capable of.

6. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I agree with all of this except the whole 'take away that 1 run and he went 5 for 11....' theory. BS. You can't take away that one run because he ran that run, it's part of his performance. He went 66 yards on 1/6 of his total runs, how about you look at it like that? Like you said, its only one preseason game, the first preseason game, and isn't too much to be excited over. I just always hate it when ppl try to exclude certain plays while thinking about statistics, because then they aren't statistics, they're hypothetical.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

You missed the point. If they choose to make him a third down back, only on third and long, then my point was that you are wasting his real skill which is running the ball. You don't run on third and long that much. He will catch a lot of passes. He should. But he should primarily be a rb and used on running downs too otherwise you are wasting him in my opinion.

8. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Gotchya. And I agree in that case as well, the idea of a 3rd down back is more or less a back that isn't going to do too much running...

9. Young54

Young54 Starter

My point isn’t to compare statistics. CJ’s stats were great. What I am trying to compare is consistency. I would much rather have a consistent 5 yard rusher than a swing or miss homerun hitter. Now we start playing the field position game. I would rather have someone that can move the chain, even if I forgo the occasional homerun TD once a game.

10. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

I'd take a 5 yard rusher over LT. :wink2: Did you mean 4?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar