WHY ARE WE NOT SPENDING MONEY!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titans1839, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titans1839

titans1839 Starter

Because JRob is not dumb and he sees what is coming. We might have a mass exodus like we did in 2005? (I think that was the year) where we lost or cut a bunch of players because we did not have the money to re-sign or keep players. Yes, we can front load certain contracts, but that makes things messy and players do not like because makes them easier to cut. No one will take a 4 year deal that pays them 12, 12, 7, 5 with no guaranteed money either. Wont happen. What some must not see if the doom of FA in 2019 and 2020. Next year isn't that bad, but then its crazy. Here is a good list below.

Here are some FA the next 3 years that we will have interest in re-signing. Unlike this year, there are many.

2018:
    Woodyard - Depends on play.
    Succop
    Kline
    Kelly
    Amaro - Depends on his play this year, I think he is our #2 now.
    Daquan Jones
    Williamson

2019: This is the big year. Why we are saving all this money. Everyone of these guys is going to cost probably over 6-7 million. This is a huge FA list. In 2018, they will be making a combined over 40 million...
    Casey
    Orakpo
    Morgan
    Walker
    Matthews
    Lewan

2020: Another huge class. Our top QB, RB and CB plus draft class that will need new deals like Byard, Sharp, Henry, Dodd + others.
    Ryan
    Murray
    Mariota
    B.Jones
    Kern
    2016 Draft Class

Spending even close to the limit wont happen. We will need to carry over 15-20 million to next year and the year after that. We have a good team now. We add solid pieces and will build even more in the draft. Don't forget we have 2 top 20 picks in the draft. We are in great shape.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We're in real good shape cap-wise for some time

And JR has signed no bad deals so far either. I trust he's got this

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

in 2019 you let walker go and matthews

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Just about all of those can kick rocks. Succop can stick around.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I feel it's kinda dumb to be looking 3+ years out on players we need to re-sign (with perhaps a couple noticeable exceptions like a franchise QB/Mariota). We definitely shouldn't be worrying about re-signing the likes of Sharpe, Dodd and Byard at this point lol. And why exactly are we worried about locking up Demarco Murray for 2021 and beyond when he will be 33yo by that point and no doubt completely ineffective?

Another fallacy with this is we aren't going to be able to retain all these guys even if we wanted to. Lots of guys simply just want to get paid and are gonna go where the money is. I've said this before, but this team is going to look substantially different by 2019/2020 than people seem to think. So I just believe it's silly to be worrying too much about contracts that far out.

• High Five High Five x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  6. titans1839

titans1839 Starter

I agree to a point. 2018 is two years away. As a GM, you have to look around. If some players do leave, you need to sign/draft players to replace them. They wont come cheap either. Two years away is not too far away to be concerned with. We have a lot of solid pieces to make a run, he isn't going to ruin that by overpaying a few players that do not have a huge impact on our team.

7. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I thought MM was only a 4 year deal...

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I agree you have to be looking at 2018, and even 2019 (to an extent). 3 years out and beyond just seems kinda pointless to me.

9. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

you are forgetting the 5th year option for first rounders, which we would obviously use in this case

10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

what's the damn point of 2019 if we suck next year? it's not like the NFL grants wins for most money saved. You get what you pay for, and we haven't paid for sh1t.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar