Why Carr is not to blame.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I think if Harper was in there, that's exactly how they play it. See Finnegan's Pass break-up in the redzone on 3rd down on the slant. I think the team knew Carr was going to be picked on and wanted to avoid him getting beaten by the double move. He played "off" all game.

I would have liked to see some more zone blitzes which are also very effective against the slant. Bring one of the OLBs on the blitz and drop the DE into coverage in the passing lane. I didn't see us do this once.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I generally feel Schwartz calls a good game. I've defended him in the past. But I didn't understand the scheme yesterday.

I assume he wanted to force Favre to dink and dunk and our CBs/LBs keep the gains short. We had some poor tackling and Favre kept the chains moving.

After the first drive, I wanted to see our corners jam the receivers to disrupt the timing. I assume Favre would have then looked to take more shots downfield.

Bottom line: I can't blame the defense much when the offense sputtered so badly. The best defense is to establish the run game and keep Favre on the sidelines. Getting the ground game back has to be the top priority for the Titans offense. The Lions are dead last against the run so if the Titans don't hang 200 yards on the ground Thursday, we're in trouble.

3. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

I agree completely about the scheme. They had the slant all day - maybe the Titans would have played it different it Harper had been in, but what they were doing wasn't working so why stick with it for the whole game.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't think Carr played well, but as everyone here seems to agree, I don't think he deserves a large amount of blame for the loss.

Similar to what TitanJeff finished with, I blame the sputtering offense for the loss.

But in particular, #1, I blame the offense's game plan on the loss. Throwing 39 attempts and rushing 11 attempts was not a good gameplan against the Jets. I don't know if that falls on Fisher or Heimi more... but I think that's where the most blame belongs.

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Who blamed Carr for the loss anyway? I missed that.

6. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I think that's where it came down to what options we had at corner. We knew Carr was very limited and there's only so many things we can do with a 4th string corner against Brett Favre.

I 100% agree, TJ. Our defense wouldn't have looked nearly as bad if we had been able to hold on to the ball and control the clock. This team lives and dies off of TOP. Yesterday it was:

Jets - 40:30
    Titans - 19:30

Personally, I think the key to this loss is right there.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Carr did get hit with some huge PI calls in the 4th. One kept a drive going that we had stopped the last few walked them down for a score.

With that said; if we could have caught a ball it might have helped. When you have two consecutive drops on screen plays one by each of your starting RBs you are not going to get very far.

8. HALL97ROX

HALL97ROX Camp Fodder

It was too bad the Titans couldn't at least have him a KR, Hawkins did crap all day in that position. One good return might have helped, that's all I'm sayin'.

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

That's a good post, but when you can't get off the field on 3rd down or 4th for that matter, what good can the offense do. We all know this is a bend and don't break D, that being said, they stay on the field way too long, sometimes by their own admission. Agreed if our offense could have gotten 2 first downs in a single drive it would've made life easier for the defense. So let's not Run, Run, Pass, Punt without any offensive aggressiveness. Like TJ said, sometimes the best Defense is a good Offense. I would like to see more aggressiveness offensively to keep the Defense off the field opposed to the opposite. Get a lead and then give them the hammer, don't play the hammer first while they stack the box. Just my opinion.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

the jets did the same thing the packers did against us, they just did it better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar