Why Collins?????

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rayzor2004, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Volek has stunk up the place after having the "job" during the entire off season. Yeah, OL line ,insert Guards here please, is needing help and I think that if any come available from other teams cast off's we will pull the trigger, DL same situation. Vodka collins is a seasoned (old) QB and at least has some arm strength or did the last time I saw him, much better than "little" billy. Oh yeah wouldn't the 5-7 step drop make him a negative 2 step QB?:))

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Apparently they were simply not happy with Volek. His stats were not horrible but when examining him under the microscope it is very possible he was missing reads and not running the offense to the coaches satisfaction.
    Collins may not be the perfect answer but he was the best out there they could get and at a decent price. If Collins can't produce he will backup Young anyway.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Most likely, this wasn't a decision based only on the limited amount of time he played in games. There may have been concerns throughout camp.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

if TJ is right then it is a bit short sighted to sign Collins with one pre-season game left in which Vince Young could be possibly starting and then expect him to start from Week 1.

5. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Many of us said it a couple of years ago.....Billy Volek will NEVER be the #1 QB in Tennessee. He's not good enough. He's a nice backup. That's it. Amazing how many people are impressed with his mop up duty numbers.

Collins is a better player, and knows Vince will be the man. Volek obviously has a problem with that and sounds like a 3 year old: "I guess they want a quarterback who is perfect in every throw and every read, and that is going to be hard to find,'' Volek said. "I guess they've been unhappy with my production. But it is hard when you are only getting a quarter a game and when you get two quarters in one game like I did against Atlanta and throw for (141) yards, they are still disappointed"

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

had you rather BV just said nothing..that would have been worse. I think he had every right to say what he said because it is true.

Collins a better player..maybe in his prime not now

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

My question is why not Billy. The guy hasn't been making major mistakes. We've seen several great passes dropped, and his yardage and completion numbers aren't bad. He's only thrown 1 INT. What do you people want? Why is Collins going to be better after 1 week with the team? Come on.

8. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Kerry Collins is cute and really big and tall in person. He makes Billy V. look like a kicker.

I like Billy, but he had to know something like this was coming. At least billy keeps drew r. on a leash with a muzzle over his mouth.

9. ilincoln

ilincoln Camp Fodder

If voleks stock is higher the less he plays, and vince is starting in a year, then pick up a vet to take some snaps, trade volek while he still has value and wait for vince to do something. I would rather have spent that money elsewere, and let volek play. But, it seems to be a late stategy, why do they NOT like billy now? its not like they havnt had a chance to watch him before. All of sudden they dont like him so much that he has to be replaced. Why did we have him around this long to begin with. The managment seems to be grasping at straws.

10. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

I think you have to consider that what looks like a so-so play to the fans, the coaches see the play/opportunity that was missed.

From Fisher's Sunday press conference:

(on Billy Volek’s progress through three preseason games)

Billy improved. This last week his numbers were there. He missed on some opportunities, had some people open that he should have (seen), simple reads that he should have been able to recognize. He had some chances for some completions. His numbers could have been significantly better.

They've got a career's worth of game film on Collins, playing in a variety of offensive systems, and you have to figure they believe that he is not going to miss those simple reads.

I don't rate Collins as much more than serviceable, but Billy hasn't done anything to believe he'd be more than that either. And Collins has a ton of experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar