Why do our receivers struggle to create YAC?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PRAY IV M3RCY, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Pro Bowler

At first I thought it was because of a lack of talent and athleticism, but we have addressed that issue this year. So why are guys still being tackled as soon as they catch the ball? It was a stark contrast compared to the Raiders being one of the best teams at getting YAC. I'm starting to believe its the system and the route running being asked of our receivers. Are we not scheming them open enough?

2. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

We don't have a ton of athleticism at WR. Decker and Matthews (and even Delanie) are slower, bigger, stronger targets meant to get the ball in traffic. I don't expect much YAC from them.

I think our offense would thrive in more of a West Coast system as opposed to this power run/vertical/west coast hybrid system we have going on. That's what the Raiders ran ever since Del Rio became their coach, and you see the results in their WRs.

Lord knows Mariota is a west coast QB, and there's nothing wrong with that. We should tailor the offense to his strengths above all else, and that kind of offense would net a lot more YAC for our WRs.

The additions of Corey Davis and Taylor should help us get more YAC regardless though, and if we did switch to a west coast offense, they would be right at home with Mariota.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I don't hate our system because theoretically if Mariota goes out we could still play our brand of ball and maybe win games. But the offense does feature his ability to move, so part of it is for Mariota.

4. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

We dont get YAC because we throw screens to Decker instead of Taywon

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Seriously though, Davis and Taywon will help out in this department... but it's gonna take more than 1 game to see it

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

They're possession receivers

7. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

A whole ton of curl and comeback patterns along with our receivers not creating enough separation.

You'll get more YAC yards in a spread offense because as we know it, it creates 1 on 1 situations.

Also, you need a QB who can zip the ball. I don't care how talented the WR is, but if the QB doesn't have zip in the NFL that will be the difference in the WR getting into open space before a DB can react. There's nothing wrong with Mariota's arm, but when you run bunch formations like we do all 1 or 2 WRs that run their 10 yard comeback routes have no chance in hell at YAC yards.

So I would blame the lack of YAC more on the scheme we run.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

Kinda hard when you run every 1st and 2nd down leaving you in 3rd and long situations. The you gotta throw past the sticks.

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Mariflota, the ball is in the air allowing DBs to close.
    Also, how many times do you see our WRs leave their feet to make a catch?

It's not a concern, Mariflota is doing fine, takes time to get that precise chemistry.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  10. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

ISO routes with minimal separation. ISO routes not creating space like combinations typically do (and schemed to a certain player who takes advantage of the space. Aka yac)

Bunch of curls arnt going to create yac fellas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar