Why do the Niners play the Jags in London?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Over the weekend I met one of the executives from American Airlines who's job is to get the NFL teams out to London each year.

We got to talking about football because I had my Titans fitted on and he asked me how I was a Titans fan... So I explained, and he then told me with a sad look on his face how he was a Raiders fan.

As the conversation went on he got to telling me how he'd be in Nashville with the Niners in October. It seems the 49ers will be staying in Nashville that week after we play them at LP Field so that their trip to London is shorter.

But why did the NFL schedule this game? Doesn't the league want a good game when representing the league overseas?

Of all the international games the NFL has had, only 1 was a blowout, the other 6 were pretty good games. I mean it makes sense to have the Vikings play the Steelers, they're about equal, but the Niners and Jags?

Just seems dumb to me. If Im setting up these games Im looking for good match-ups, isn't Goodell trying to expand the league? Why have this game in London? It's an embarrassment to the NFL IMO.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

The Jags are moving to London. this is just a tryout. Going to suck for us going to London every year. Pip pip cherio!

[​IMG]

Better brush up on Britishisms:

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I definitely see where you're coming from. They're probably just trying to sucker some unsuspecting Brits into accidentally becoming Jagrag fans. Since no one in America cares about them.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I voted no because no teams should be playing in London.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. JCBRAVE

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

JCBRAVE -- know that the Jags are playing 4 "home" games in London over the next four years, right? Your post makes it sound like you think the NFL can pick and choose which teams to send over there every year. This was all set up a while ago. The reason it's this way is that no teams other than the Jags wanted to give up a home game. The Jags can't sell tickets and want to increase their presence around the world, so they volunteered.

Also, funny story about the Jaguars and London: when they unveiled their new uniforms, the Jaguars made a big deal about this "military-style" JAGS patch on the front. Only one problem with that -- the word "jag" has special meaning to Brits. It means an extended period of drug or alcohol abuse. The Jaguars can't use the word "Jags" to promote themselves over there, despite the fact that they just added it to their uniforms and they are trying to become London's de facto team. They might even have to alter their uniforms for the games they play over there.

Stupid Jags can't ever do anything right.

• High Five High Five x 4
  7. JCBRAVE

In that case the NFL should pencil in an equal team, no need to send a west coast team on a 2-week road trip mid season.

8. The Hammer

Wonder what they will think of the Jag Rag

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Same train of thought here.

10. The Hammer

That is going to be a brutal trip for San Fran. Coming from the other side of the country. Had a look at flight times. Luftansa, Iberia and United offer non stop flights between the cities which are over 10 hours. That is going to suck for the Niners players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar