Why Isn't Anybody Talking about Evan Engram?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by abc2330, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

This draft is loaded at the TE position, but it's not like Engram would be a reach any other year at the 18th spot. Unlike many others in the position at the collegiate level, he was the featured receiver on the team and put up nearly 1,000 yards in his final season. I found the lack of hype around him from mocks and scouts to be a bit odd, considering he actually did things that many TEs like Howard, Njoku, etc. are basically being projected to be able to do (be a receiver).

Let us take this into account-his athleticism. Neither Williams nor Davis are running a 4.42. Engram has the athleticism to get open, unlike Williams, and he's got great size as a receiver, superior to the slightly-built Davis. Evans was one of the best athletes at receiver or TE today. His speed and explosiveness makes him every bit the mismatch that Njoku (who is only an inch taller) and Howard are, and we know for sure that he can handle the role of a featured receiver.

I'm not saying that this is the way we should go with the 18th pick, I'm just surprised that the other two guys were mocked here and Engram was falling to the 3rd in some cases. Howard makes sense, given his size and blocking ability, but I'd take a Jordan Reed (Engram) over a Jared Cook (Howard), which is where he could end up if he proves to be an inconsistent receiver . Njoku fell off my radar-I didn't watch any tape, but the "elite athleticism" advertised by scouts seemed to be a bit overstated after seeing his combine numbers, he isn't a proven blocker, and has an 11% drop rate? That sounds like your 3rd round guy there.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Probably because he wasn't on anyone's radar until the combine..

#combinewarrior

3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Engram is a Slot TE. Early second. Not a first.

6'3 -234

He's not blocking anyone and he's never being put inline. He's not really comparable to the TEs in the class because of size differences.

4. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Yes he was. Shoutbox was all over this kid during the senior bowl.

5. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Senior Bowl is no way to judge someone.

I've and we've all watched many Ole Miss games and not once has he stuck out.

This guy is a mid round draft pick, therefore nobody "isn't talking about Evan Engram".

6. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Evan comes out and runs a 4.56 today and this thread is not posted.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Ran a 4.64. Vert was a 37.5. Broad jump was 11'1".

Not athletic.

Evan Ingram ran 4.42. Vert was a 36. Broad jump was 10'4".

Very athletic.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

I never said he is "not athletic". But the scouts were suggesting Vernon Davis type combine numbers, and he really wasn't close to that. If he were a polished receiver that would be great, but if you combine his drop rate and lack of blocking experience and the fact that he's not even the best athlete at the position in the draft , I'm not seeing a player worth taking at 18.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I think it was always debatable as to whether he was the most athletic TE in the draft. He and Howard were probably neck and neck.

I wouldn't even consider Ingram a TE. He's a WR. He's going to get murdered inline in the NFL. It's one thing to be a bad blocker. It's something entirely different to not even try. Devin Funchess.

• LOL LOL x 1
  10. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

If a guy who is getting 100 yards against Alabama isn't sticking out to you, then you have incredibly unrealistic expectations. TEs aren't like ODB, they don't flash and electrify all over the field. They are just really big guys who catch the ball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar