Why isn't Vince running?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Dec 27, 2007.

?
  1. Mostly Vince

46.8%
  2. Mostly Coaches

10.6%
  3. Equal Vince and Coaches

42.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Bingo!

He waits too long now before he runs for it, which more often than not = Sacked/tackled for a loss or no gain.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I think it's a little bit of both
    remember what Jeff did with McNair ?
    same thing is happening with Vince
    they are trying to get Vince comfortable in the pocket, sharpening his reads and avoiding situations that might see him injured

Vince may also be a little gun shy now
    you can see it when he does run
    he slides now where it looked more like he met tacklers on last year
    i'm sure that little injury earlier in the year instilled caution

but to hell with all that
    Playoffs are on the line
    I'm gonna guess that Vince will be fearless Sunday

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Fish says it's not the coaches....but that could be Fish speak.

VY has said more than once about wanting to be considered a quarterback, not just a runner (or something to that effect). I'd guess he's in control of it more.

The thing is, I don't so much mind. He needs more experience was a passer. Some said he wouldn't be able to run in the NFL.....well that was BS. He must improve as a passer, so get that experience while you're young. I feel we need more talent as a team to be a legit SB contender, so the big picture is more about the future.

If we get that extra talent, and if VY improves as a passer with this experience....maybe we win the whole enchilada :brow:

4. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Vince, he wants to prove the haters wrong, lol

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The post season would be a great time for him to run first and ask questions later.

6. Nine

Nine Starter

I believe it starts with Vince. In his effort to prove himself as a passer, he hangs onto the ball and sits in the pocket for a second or two longer than he did last year....and as a result, defenses have an extra second or two to close off possible escape routes. Last year, they didn't have time to react; this year, they do.

However, the coaches haven't exactly helped him out. They might encourage him to run more often, but the playcalling says otherwise. They rarely call the rollouts or bootlegs that Vince ran so effectively last year.

Also missing from the playbook are the called QB runs that we occasionally saw last year. Vince had two called runs in the Chiefs game, and picked up around 30 yards....so you know he's still got it. But for some reason, the coaches aren't calling those plays.

Vince is obviously dedicated to his development as a pocket passer; unfortunately, he apparently feels that he can't accomplish this and also be an effective runner in the process. And the coaches have done nothing to make him think otherwise.

7. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

At this point, he just needs to do what he's gotta do. I personally think it is VY painfully going through those shallow azz passing routes that Chow has drawn up (3 recivers on curl patterns, TE & RB's in the flats), anyone else notice how a LB or DB is right there after he barely gets pass the LOS?? which also makes it harder for him to get clean running lanes. He has now realized that he can make one person miss, but there will be some one that is waiting behind that one person trying to clean his clock, and the kid gets down. He also has to manuver a little better in the pocket, that little thing he does when he tries fake the rusher out by spinning back in the direction where the rush is coming from is not working. His spacing is bad, and he's waiting too long to make that move. By the time he tries it they have already closed the gap, and it ends up in a sack.

If Chow calls some plays where our receivers can go at least 15 yds down the field and an occassional go route here and there during the game (please not the pump and go yet again, they've seen it on film, and it's not working anymore), then you will see the running lanes open up more, and VY will exploit it, if no one is open of course.

So my vote is it's a little of both.

8. I was told that Vince told the coaches he didn't want to run. He wanted to throw more.

Plus, defenses are happy to let him throw more because he is more of a threat as a runner...

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If that is so and it is VY who has decided not to run you would think he would cut the pride crap and go back to doing what he does best. Also, VY or not if I was Fisher I'd simply say to VY, "you do what you want but if we think you aren't being effective Collins will be playing QB and you will carry a clip board". I have no problem with VY wanting to throw more but not to the complete exclusion of being a running threat which is what we are seeing.

10. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I'm sure its Vince..
    You could tell by week 1 against the jags when he was 3 feet away from the goal line and decided to pass it (which fell incomplete) instead of walking it in.

We ended up kicking for a field goal.

Thats been bugging me about Vince lately. We drafted him because of his run threat ability; and unless he goes back to that style, he no longer becomes a weapon for us and just another QB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar