Why not a DT in round 1?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Everyone around here seems to identify 3 possible positions of needs that the Titans could/should address in round 1 of the upcoming draft: CB, LB and D-line.

As far as D-line goes, everyone is focusing on DEs like Morgan, Graham, Dunlap and Pierre-Paul. I haven't really heard anyone discuss the possibility of taking a DT instead of a DE.

In 2008, it was clear that the Titans needed to draft a playmaker on offense. Most (if not all) of us figured this would be a WR. Instead, the Titans took a playmaking RB named Chris Johnson (a position that none of us thought would be an option in round 1). It worked out pretty well.

In 2010, it's clear that the team needs to generate more pressure with its defensive front. That pressure doesn't have to come from a DE, though. We all saw what Haynesworth did to the D-line overall. Mediocre DEs (like KVB) can become studs when they line up next to good DTs in the Titans' system.

So why not draft a DT instead of a DE if the value is there? Obviously Suh and McCoy are going to be done, but this is a draft class that's very deep in DTs. Dan Williams and Terrence Cody are guys who will probably be available when the Titans pick.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on how the possible DT value available at pick 16 relates to the possible DE value. I think I'm leaning toward hoping the Titans find a stud DT.

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Because we have 5 DTs that can play; Jason Jones, Jovan Haye, Sen'Derrick Marks, Tony Brown, and Kevin Vickerson.

If Suh or McCoy fall to 16 then I'd be fine with that, but we know that won't happen.

3. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

The only ones I'd take in round 1 are Suh and McCoy. I wouldn't even mind trading up to get them, but this is the Titans we're talking about. It won't happen.

If we could somehow come up with a 2nd round pick I wouldn't mind taking Williams, Cody, or Price from UCLA (I think that's his name) with that pick. Though Cody still needs to loose some weight.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

What was said above are the same reasons I don't figure us to go DT. Yes it will certainly help the overall defense in slowing down the pass, but like the post above says; we have 5 DT's that can play. I'm all for moving Jones to DE, I think he'd do great things from there. And I'm more sold on Kevin Vickerson believe it or not than I am on Marks or Haye. I wouldn't mind a DT with our first pick, but it's already a crowed position and not one of major need. It looks almost as if we've adjusted back to not having a dominate D-lineman and are moving forwards with that. Surely if Suh or McCoy is there at like 10-11 somehow we can give the entire draft to the Broncos or who ever is in the neighborhood at those picks. I'd be so happy to land either one, but that's just silly to assume will happen.

5. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I'd be ok with taking a DT with #16 if there was one worthy of being taken so high over a DB, DE, or LB. BUT I don't see any that are.

DB:Earl Thomas or Kyle Wilson
    DE:Graham or Griffen
    LB:McClain or Weatherspoon

6. 24

24 Starter

I would be mad if we didn't let Marks develop. Same with Jones, although he's had injury problems. Plus, our lack of talent at the DE spot is obvious.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I think the main reason is because there are only about 2 worth a first round pick, and they'll be gone by our pick.

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Fixed ^

Don't see a DT being worth that pick either.

9. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

Yea, even if Jason Jones is moved back outside to DE I still don't see a DT taken with the 1st round pick. Marks wasn't taken in the 2nd to ride the pine.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar