Why not take best player available?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The Playmaker, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I am against any receiver regardless of greatness for the Titans 2011 first round at the #8 pick. How good would Fitzgerald or Boldin been here last year? Calvin Johnson? Reggie Wayne? Roddy White? Brandon Marshall?
    These guys would have made a very slight difference on our run-first team with a subpar QB (and I assume it will continue to be)

You build from the foundation up, you don't start with the chandelier then decide how to build the structure around it.

The QB makes the receiver what he is much more frequently than the other way around. First things first, and I would assume Munchak (a very meat and potatoes kind of guy) would have enough sense to nix any attempt at a WR first round.

Roethlisberger, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, Brady, Warner and Favre (did) and others seem to keep being good passers not depending on who their #1 receiver is.

It's a lot harder for me to think of things the other way around:
    Smith made Delhomme
    possibly T.O. helped make Romo and McNabb in their primes
    Moss made Culpepper.
    Holt and Bruce made Bulger

Those are the ones I can think of at the moment.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You have to be going out of your way to make statements so dumb.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I actually analyze... try it.

vs Florida: 19 yards.
    vs Penn State: 49 yards.
    vs Arkansas: 55 yards.
    vs Mississippi: 8 yards.
    vs Mississippi St: 41 yards.
    vs Duke: 106 yards.
    vs South Carolina: 118 yards.
    vs Tennessee: 221 yards.
    vs LSU: 89 yards.
    vs Georgia State: 86 yards.
    vs Auburn: 199 yards.

Take away 2 great games (vs crappy secondaries, of course) and this guy's numbers are a joke for a big time WR. Shut down by many mediocre corners.... no thank you.

Plus the guy has hands like bricks. Think Nate Washington drops too many passes? He makes Nate look like Rice.

Did you think James Hardy was elite? Julio is Roy Williams AT BEST.

4. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

We need Fairley more than any receiver in the draft. I understand people are worried about Britt, but Pacman had a bad rep even before he was drafted, Britt is a good kid, just hangs out with the wrong crowd. Obviously it's not impossible that he'll get in trouble again but we're just going to hope he doesn't, because we just have too many other holes to fill. I'd rather not screw up everything just for Britt insurance, and I don't expect our draft plan to change.

5. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Obviously McNabb had his best year with T.O. but McNabb still put up some pretty good numbers with maybe the worst set of receivers for a QB during a 5 year span. Without T.O. McNabb was still a very good QB to say the least, and I think he still would have been elite with someone half as good as T.O.

6. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

WR can be addressed later in the draft, best defensive player at #8, QB in round 2, and Greg Little in the 3rd, Tolliver, Pettis, all will be available in the 3rd or later. I'd actually be fine not taking a WR, and building the D, oline, and landing our QB this year, then looking at a WR in the first next year with Blackmon, Floyd, and Jeffery likely all coming out.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

You mentioned Julio as your "best player available" in the original post.

My list was not in order, just a group of players that are better and more worthwhile drafting instead of Julio.

8. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I keep reading how the Titans want to beef up the Dline...well Fairley aint it. I would rather have Von Miller @ 8, though I think he may be gone, and go after someone else later for the Dline. No idea who...but not sure Fairley is my choice. Would rather us get Hayesworth back somehow if we want to plug the middle.

9. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I think we will stick to our board and take the BPA at eight, if we can't trade out of it. All these people saying we'll be drafting Locker at eight are just out of their minds. I think Reinfeldt is much much, much better GM than that. Whoever the pick is we just can't afford to miss like we have so many times in the last five years or so. No guys with character concerns, no guys with injury concerns and no reaching for a quarterback and we'll be just fine.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

So Tennessee, Auburn and South Carolina are "high school teams"?

His biggest game in 09 was against LSU and his biggest games in 08 were against LSU and Florida. His best games come against top 10 teams!

Bama was a running team so if they had a big lead they would ice the game and his numbers usually were lower against weaker teams.

AJ Green never broke 60 catches in a season Jones had 78 last year and he had a broken hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar