Why play CJ in the fourth?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Agree completely. I was shouting at my TV for him to get out of the game. All I can think to explain it is that he begs the coaches to go in so he can pad his stats and they let him because they want to keep him happy. That's not a valid excuse, though.

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

He shouldn't have been in there. Especially with that kind of a lead, the Raiders knew we'd want to run the clock out... so a normally stacked line was going to be even more loaded with tired, desperate, sloppy defenders.

Not a situation I want my 2,500 yard-bound back to step into.

On a related note, while the D line has improved from last year the O line is in the "needs work" column. Roos looked sluggish at times. There were almost no creases to run through all day, forget about a hole (other than the 1 76 yard hole, which was nice). I'd have to watch the game again to see the whole story, but I got the impression that Amano and Harris struggled mightily most of the day.

I'd actually like to see Ringer with more carries early as well as in cleanup. Why make CJ do the all the early dirty work against fresh, motivated defenses? He can get 2500 yards if we use him smarter instead of more.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I can't disagree with you more. There were at least 2 plays where he turned a potential loss into a short gain and his speed got us a first down on an option play when there was no room to run.

He also used his power to get us a first down on a short pass.

He is the best back in this league!

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Didn't he lead the league in carries for a loss last year? didn't he have that play where he decided to reverse field and lost us yards yesterday?
    Yes, he is the best back in the league. But doesn't necessarily mean we're going to be the best team in the league, because of his style. He is the definition of "all or nothing" and sometimes you get the worse end of that.

Did I deny that he could win, and has won us games? Absolutely not. But do you get the point that if he has his "down" series a few series in a row, where he gets 1 YPC, we can lose a game because of it, if Vince can't bail us out on 3rd and long? (which from the looks of it, he can)

I was at the game, but it seemed like the entire 1st quarter he got almost nothing. Luckily our passing game was on fire, and we were playing the Raiders.
    Nobody can deny his game-changing ability, and he gets those highlight reel runs, no question about it. And without a doubt, there is no back I would rather have. I'm just conceding he is sometimes frustrating to watch because of his inconsistency (maybe it's all in my head)

5. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Jeff Fisher is the 3rd best coach in the league. How dare you question anything he has ever done.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

He didn't have much blocking either. So what it was one quarter.

According to the stats used by football outsiders he was by far the most effective RB in the league and even the success rate % which is a stat that does penalize for no gains and losses he was around average.

I think your premise is simply wrong he will take a play that shouldn't gain anything and bounce it outside for 4 yards. He does that all the time.

He is not one of those scat back guys who is ineffective 80% of the time until he breaks a big one.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

This makes no sense. So he is just as likely to get hurt standing on the bench with Ringer in the game as he is if he is out there with 11 guys trying to take his knee out. Yes he can get injured at any point when he is out there. I think it is hard to not agree it would be much harder to get hurt standing on the bench as a spectator.

Besides, why not get some of the 2nd stringers in the game when you have a chance. I thought they should have pulled VY out. Collins is capable of holding a lead. Also why not take finny out and let verner get some playing time. There is no excuse for having our franchise players out there when the game is already in the bag. It is even more inexcusable when you have decent bench guys like Ringer, Collins and Verner.

Also, I didn't notice but was JJ out there in the 4th quarter. I'd definately sit him and maybe Tony Brown if the game is all but over. Let Marks and Haye get the reps.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

There was no reason to leave CJ in the game with that lead, that late.
    bad coaching move. I honestly don't believe that it had anything with trying to get Johnson any particular milestone. it better not be

if Fisher keeps this up, Chris Johnson will be out of the league in a few years

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

He read our #3 thread and did it as a passive-aggressive spite move :yes:

10. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

2,500 baby!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar