Why Roos won't read this

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Michael Roos asked nicely.

When I talked to him about how the Titans have allowed just two sacks this season and none in the last five games and asked if he thought they could have a historic season with regard to pass protection, he said he did not want to know anything about sack-related records.

"If you start looking at that number and you don't want to get to that number, then you start pressing," he said. "As soon as you press, your technique goes out the window and then you start trying too hard not to get them. When you try not to get them, that's when they happen. No, I don't want to know what the number is."

Jeremy Lundblad of ESPN Research tells me the 1988 Miami Dolphins hold the record for the fewest sacks allowed in a season, with seven, and that the 1988 and '89 Dolphins went 19 games without allowing one. The Titans are on pace to give up between four and five sacks.

"It is a point of pride, but at the same time you don't want to think about it," said Roos, the Titans left tackle who should emerge in the Pro Bowl picture this season. "Because then you start thinking about it too much, focusing on it and then you psych yourself out and that's when they start coming.

"More than anything we try to minimize hits. Sometimes a hit can be a lot worse than a sack, that's how injuries can happen. You try to at least start there."

Kerry Collins is helping his line in a big way with his willingness to hit check downs or throw balls away.

Jeff Fisher said he thinks 16 to 18 is a good number for a season -- roughly one a game. But obviously the Titans are expecting better than that now.

"People are pretty good at getting to the quarterback, so one per game I think would be a pretty good goal," he said. "The numbers are down, so that's good. It's hard to say what will happen. We'll play some teams that can rush the passer and there is always that snap, that one where somebody blows a protection and the quarterback goes down. We're just very pleased with the numbers right now."

More...

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

This is pretty amazing if you think about it. Only 4 to 5 sacks given up in a season? Wonder what David Carr thinks of this stat?

Of course, even if they do break the record it will be minimized by the media. The '88 Dolphins passed twice as much as they ran. Collins probably won't even equal in attempts what Marino had in completions that year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Hey, I don't care about records, but it's an amazing part of our team. I'm just happy with leading the NFL for the year and keeping Collins injury-free.

4. Tuckfro42

Amen to that GoTitans!

I just had a debate with myself as to whether or not I should "high-five" your post. I decided against it. Not because I don't agree with you, but because I value the "high-fives" I give out. I don't want to be seen as some tramp who will hand out "high-fives" to anyone and everyone he finds agreeable. I don't want board members to say, "There goes the "Happy High-Fiver". High-five-ing anything that posts." Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free, right?

5. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Hes been unbelievable on the left side of the line. Definetly has to be the most underrated LT in the game, glad to see him getting sum pub finally

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Is this you mocking how much I high five people? So instead of a high-five, for my post, I got a mocking? Ouch. That's what I get for giving positive reinforcement I guess...

7. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

We could give up the fewest sacks, have the most. Have the best take away deferential. Have two backs go over 1000 yards. White could lead the league in TD's. We could have the #1 rated Defense, but ultimatley who cares if we don't win the SB. That is the one stat I care about.

Tennessee Titans 1-1 in the Super Bowl.

btw I'm high fiving you both!

8. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

I think Broken Record want the title of "High-Five Tramp of the Year."

9. Tuckfro42

No, no. I was not mocking you at all. That was just me struggling with my low online-esteem. Please, keep up the positive reinforcement. And, by all means, "high-five" me as much as possible. I have no problem receiving praise, just giving it. Maybe, it is because my father never said he loved me... (weeps gently onto keyboard).

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Tuckfro, your Dad would be proud to see how few high fives you allow. I'm sure you are an inspiration to offensive lines everywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar