Why the media ignored the nashville flood

Discussion in 'Nashville' started by Daves not here, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

^Sure. Just going on those videos, one would assume that hurricane winds would be the most damaging aspect. However, during Katrina rising water levels caused the vast majority of damages. High winds are more immediate and awesome to behold (they can be very dangerous, too), but storm surges and flooding account for the majority of destruction (effects aren't immediately visible).

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Katrina_in_New_Orleans

local municipalities were charged with maintenance once the projects were completed

Hurricane Katrina made its second and third landfalls in the Gulf Coast region on August 29, 2005 as a Category 3 hurricane

The storm surge had severely taxed the city's inadequate levee system built by the US Army Corps of Engineers

By August 30, looting had spread throughout the city, often in broad daylight and in the presence of police officers. "The looting is out of control. The French Quarter has been attacked", City Councilwoman Jackie Clarkson

shopkeepers who remained behind were left to defend their property alone

There were also reports of some police officers looting

"Sniper fire" was also reported throughout the city, targeted at rescue helicopters, relief workers, and police officers.

Looters in boats had attempted to break into the hospital but were repelled by hospital staff

Several news sources reported instances of fighting, drug use, theft, rape, and murder in the Superdome and other refuge centers

Additional acts of unrest occurred following the storm, particularly with the New Orleans Police Department. In the aftermath, a tourist asked a police officer for assistance, and got the response, "Go to hell, it's every man for himself."

one third of New Orleans police officers deserted the city in the days before the storm, many of them escaping in their department-owned patrol cars

On August 31, New Orleans's 1,500-member police force was ordered to abandon search and rescue missions and turn their attention toward controlling the widespread looting. The city also ordered a mandatory curfew. Mayor Nagin called for increased federal assistance in a "desperate S.O.S.", following the city's inability to control looting.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Gloat, there's no problem with you making that general assumption if we were having some kind of broad discussion about hurricanes and floods. That's not what happened here. You made the assumption that the hurricane did the damage in Katrina, which you thought was reasonable. The problem is, while it may be reasonable, it's not true. You're talking about Nashvillians not knowing what they're talking about in comparing the two, when you don't understand what really happened with Katrina. That's the problem.

Once again, to be clear, I agree that Nashville's flood wasn't nearly as bad as Katrina, and that there are big differences between the two. However, you should be a lot more careful when you start calling people out for not knowing what they're talking about.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I wasn't calling anyone out. I'd still say all the visible damage that you can still see was done mostly by the storm than the waters. Just due to the vicious style. The waters may have done more damage, but they're not as evident. (being that the water ruins things that are inside usually)

5. GoTitans3801

Now I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make...

Damage that you can still see? What are you talking about? Have you been to New Orleans? Are you seeing some kind of current video somewhere? You realize that treme is a fictional show and not even about present day New Orleans, right? You mean the places that were ruined and didn't rebuild or reopen? That was almost entirely flood damage. Maybe you're talking about Mississippi, where there was significant wind damage. New Orleans really didn't have much after Katrina. At least not much more than they normally get every couple of years.

You're trying really hard to salvage some kind of point, but it's not looking good.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The damage to homes and buildings that still exists. Nashville today looks like it did 3 months ago. NO doesn't look like it did before Katrina.

Yes, there is a point you're just trying your hardest to ignore it.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Been over to Opry Mills lately?

Everyday at my office, I see work next door due to flood damage. Strange you see everything the same, and yet on a daily basis I see damage from the flood.

8. GoTitans3801

Again, what damage? I've been to a lot of places around the city (though not to the lower 9th or across the river), and I'm not sure what damage you're talking about that would have been caused by the hurricane winds. East of New Orleans, in Mississippi, there was a lot of hurricane damage. In New Orleans, the things that "look diffferent" today are mostly businesses that remained closed or were rebuilt. There's visible flood damage in some places.

If you hadn't spent some serious time in New Orleans before Katrina, you wouldn't be aware of it if you went there today. It certainly has had major effects, and it will never be the same, but I really don't know of visible hurricane damage that you're talking about (that would still exist today).

Where are you getting that statement, by the way? Have you been to New Orleans in the last few years? Have you seen pictures somewhere? Or are you just making assumptions again, which was the problem in the first place...

9. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

This is very true! Post Katrina New Orleans is a lot cleaner and actually pleasant to visit now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar