Will Fisher get Fired Monday?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smudger

Smudger Starter

He isn't going to go and I'm glad.

Fisher may not be perfect but I personally feel the Titans have the best chance with him next year rather than taking a risk with jumping on the HC merry-go-round. There is a high chance a replacement would do no better in the short term, even if they proved themselves longterm.

2. amy

amy Starter

Fisher has two more years on his contract. If he takes the team to the playoffs and wins more than one game, I suspect Adams will keep him if he wants to stay. If we have an average two years, then he will be gone. And it occurred to me that he either wants to go, hence the idiotic play calling of this season, or he is preoccupied with issues outside of football which is affecting his job. Of course, I may be all wrong on that, but then, stranger things have occurred.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Loqitar10

Loqitar10 Camp Fodder

Fisher likes to say he makes alot of decisions on "gut feel",well this year, his gut was wrong....alot. In most NFL cities, this season's major miscalculations and lack of proper planning for personnel losses or deficiencies, would lead to the coaches demise. If you judged Fisher by this year's results alone, he'd be gone.

But, I don't think Bud Adams will fire him. I think Fisher convinced him he gets it about Vince, by letting Dinger design an offensive scheme that utilizes Vince's unique skills while also showing the coaches really have worked to develop Vince's more traditional QB abilities. My guess is, much of this was despite Fisher up until the point Bud stepped in and insisted it was time for Vince to play again. But, even if he hadn't bought in before that time, he didn't prevent the QB coach from doing the work needed and he green lighted Dinger's more creative approach to using Vince once he played again. Those actions, at the end of the day, likely bought him at least one more season.

The other personnel errors were just as bad and also contributed to the negative result, ie, lack of DB depth, the insane failure to be prepared with at least a competant return game. Yet, I doubt Bud weighs them as heavily as some of us do and is probably persuadable that "that's just football" re the DB injuries, and that the young returner's failures were unexpected based on practice.

As down on Fisher as I've been, my inclination is to give him 2010 to see if what was finally coming together at the end of the year on offense can take the next step next year under Dinger's tuteledge. I don't want VY, CJ and KB to "start over" with a whole new system next year. I think Vince is ready to launch, CJ's already there and Kenny's not far behind. If Cook comes thru in year two and the line plays as well as it did this year, this offense has a chance to be the best we've seen since the Titans have been in TN.

Then there is the defense to fix. Uggh. Well, at least Fish knows something about D so maybe he'll get that turned around too. Of course, he has to, or what's happening on the O will go for naught.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Personnel issues are more the responsibility of the General manager than the head coach though fisher obviously has an input. Complaints about DB depth or the lack of a a return man should be placed at Mike Reinsfeld's door.

Many have complained about the offensive play calling. We don't do this enough or that enough. Those complaints should be addressed to Mike Heimerdinger since he calls more than 90% of the plays and is the primary game planner on offense.

Are we only to judge this season on the failures of the first 6 games or do we judge the whole season? We did win as many games as we lost.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Fisher needs to head to Vegas during the off-season.

In '06, he's on shaky ground after two bad seasons and at the end of his contract. He brings in Collins who proceeds to stink it up. Bud forces him to start Young who wins enough games for the team to finish 8-8. To this day, I think Young saved Fisher's job.

Three years later, Bud once again forces Fisher to start Young who basically does a repeat of '06.

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 4
  6. customtitan

customtitan Special Teams Standout

truth!!!!!!!!!!

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

The majority of GoTitans members disagree with this according to this poll...

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=50406&highlight=Did+Vince+save+Fisher

I notice you didn't vote Jeff!

Anyway, I agree with you. :yes:

8. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

LOl... as polls go, some questions may have double meanings.

Did VY save fisher from getting fired?

answer could be... NO he did not save him, fisher saved himself.

Answer could be NO..Vy didnt save Fisher from being fired because he was never going to be fired in the first place.

Answer could be NO. Vy didnt save fisher from being fired because he is still gonna get fired. (assuming this polls was done before Adams declared fisher safe)

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I suspect that Bud gave Fisher a "get out jail free" card when he called down demanding he put in Vince as a rookie. So it may have been Fisher would not have gotten the axe regardless.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I suspect that if Fisher doesn't make the playoffs next season he is gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar